Thursday, January 20, 2005

Yonder, Carried, and Acceptance

Even though I was raised in an area of California that was quite a melting pot I never had the pleasure of meeting a true southerner, until I met the man who was to become my husband. He came complete with the heavy southern accent and all of the cute little colloquialisms that made my sister and I politely smile and secretly giggle. And even though some of his expressions were different from mine I had no trouble understanding what he meant, (most of the time).

There was one word however, one word that I learned to hate, yonder-Yonder-YONDER! What the hell is it , where the hell was it, and why in the HELL does he keep saying that word? I simply couldn't comprehend the concept of the word. I remember the first time like it was yesturday, he was working on a vehicle and he said, "get me that socket yonder" , I said "what", he "the socket, yonder", me "where?", he "over yonder, honey", me again "where", he repeated it and pointed. Oh , thank you God I thought, he pointed, so I went right to where he pointed and there was the socket, so I picked it up and gave it to him. O.K. by now I have deduced that yonder meant there.

After that it was always the same scenario, yonder, what, yonder, where, over yonder-- but he was good at pointing so he always got what he wanted. In the meantime I began to feel like he was the master and I was a puppy that was being trained and was to stupid to understand the comands. YONDER puppy fetch, fetch puppy fetch. Poor puppy what would happen if puppy didn't fetch the right tool? Whould puppy be reprimanded.

Well it finally happened, master didn't point just right and puppy fetched the wrong wrench. He had the nerve to yell. Wrong move, puppy was ready to bite and the fight was on. Shaking the wrench over my head and screaming at the top of my voice all my frustrations came out in one big blurt I said, What the hell is YONDER, where the hell is YONDER, and why the the hell do you always say YONDER. I don't know where YONDER is? So why can't you say on the bench, on the floor, in the grass, on the driveway, up your....or anything but YONDER! All five feet, Ninty-nine lbs of me was ready to hit his six ft. big head if I had to climb on a chair to do it and he knew it.

The fight was over, I got an apology---need I say more.

I must admit that understanding some southern expessions are a bit difficult. A few years after we were married we decided to move to Arkansas. One of my sister-in-laws was visiting me. She was a teacher a highly intellegent and interesting person. I can't remember if she was talking about her aunt or cousin, anyway she was talking about taking her places. She said she went to her house and picked her up and carried her shopping and carried her out to eat and carried her to the market and that she was the one in the family to carry her everywhere. Well forgive me but--I thought the woman was crippled so I asked if she was in a wheel chair. OOPS, I had no idea that carried meant to take some one some place. Never in my life had I heard that expression. So we both had a good laugh.

It takes a minimum of fifteen years to be accepted in Arkansas and that's only if you are able to make the cut.

After living in the town of Montrose (which I called Hell), in the middle of a cotton field, we found a little house in Hamburg and moved. I had a neighbor. Whoppy! You don't have neighbors in the middle of a cotton field. I thought how wonderful. Well my husband met the man next door when he was out in the yard. Everything went well since they were both southerners. I, for example found that I was being peeked at by the lady of the house next door through the window everytime I went outside. I couldn't figure it out was there something wrong with me or with her?? But we both had children so they began to play together and that helped to break the ice. Eventually we became friends even though it was obvious she thought I was different. When someone new would move to the neighborhood she would call and discribe them (like I cared). She discribled them by where they were from, like they came from Boston and they talked funny or they came from California-you know like you. And this went on for years. One day the phone rang and it was her someone moved here and she said they're from Ohio, they seem nice but you know they talk funny they're not like us. I said what do you mean not like us, remember me I'm the one from California. She started to giggle and said oh you know what I mean, they're just not like us.

To this day she still calls me when someone new comes to the area and says the same thing and I still kiddingly say, what do you mean us, and she still giggles and says , Oh you know what I mean.

Ya, I guess I do know what it means, I've become a southerner. Not by birth but by proxy, somewhere along the way she voted me in.

It's nice to be accepted!!

4 Comments:

Blogger fairygirl701 said...

Lol! I never thought about it, but I guess it would be hard to understand some things. How funny! I remember our cousins from Kansas couldn't understand why we called all drinks "Cokes" instead of pops or sodas. They thought if you said you wanted a "coke" you wanted "coke" I suppose that would be confusing

10:58 AM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

ugg boots, oakley sunglasses, replica watches, ugg boots, nike air max, cheap oakley sunglasses, nike free, michael kors outlet, polo ralph lauren outlet, longchamp outlet, jordan shoes, longchamp, ray ban sunglasses, michael kors outlet, prada handbags, ugg boots, oakley sunglasses, chanel handbags, uggs on sale, oakley sunglasses, polo ralph lauren outlet, christian louboutin outlet, ray ban sunglasses, burberry outlet online, michael kors outlet, louboutin outlet, ugg boots, louboutin shoes, michael kors outlet, louis vuitton, nike air max, ray ban sunglasses, prada outlet, louis vuitton, louboutin, oakley sunglasses, tiffany jewelry, louis vuitton outlet, burberry, kate spade outlet, louis vuitton outlet, nike outlet, tory burch outlet

6:34 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

michael kors, oakley pas cher, kate spade handbags, ralph lauren uk, ralph lauren pas cher, north face, michael kors, michael kors, burberry, hogan, hollister pas cher, nike roshe, sac guess, ray ban pas cher, ray ban uk, coach outlet, true religion outlet, air force, coach purses, nike roshe run, lululemon, coach factory outlet, coach outlet, timberland, true religion jeans, vanessa bruno, nike blazer, nike free, nike air max, hollister, new balance pas cher, vans pas cher, nike free run uk, nike air max, lacoste pas cher, louboutin pas cher, air jordan pas cher, michael kors, sac longchamp, north face, true religion jeans, abercrombie and fitch, tn pas cher, air max, longchamp pas cher, true religion jeans, converse pas cher, mulberry, hermes, nike air max

6:36 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

pandora charms, ugg,ugg australia,ugg italia, moncler, ugg pas cher, moncler outlet, vans, thomas sabo, canada goose, barbour, bottes ugg, louis vuitton, moncler, karen millen, hollister, marc jacobs, wedding dresses, canada goose outlet, moncler, pandora charms, ray ban, louis vuitton, montre pas cher, canada goose, supra shoes, louis vuitton, barbour jackets, ugg boots uk, toms shoes, moncler, converse outlet, moncler, juicy couture outlet, pandora jewelry, sac louis vuitton pas cher, doudoune canada goose, converse, replica watches, nike air max, lancel, canada goose, coach outlet, pandora jewelry, juicy couture outlet, moncler, doke gabbana outlet, ugg,uggs,uggs canada, canada goose outlet, links of london, canada goose, gucci, moncler

6:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker