Thursday, January 20, 2005

One of the Saddest Days of My Life

I read an article the other day by my daughter,she made some coments about Moms. About now you may be thinking that I was offened. No, quite the contrary, I had to laugh. I remember having those same thoughts myself about my own mom. And so it go's on from generation to generation and it always will.

I think about my own Mother often. She never thought she was very smart so she never tryed to get an easy job. She worked in a fish canary as far back as I can remember. It was hard work and long hours, but I never heard her complain. She was offered a better position and refused it because she was afraid. The reason, she thought she wasn't smart was because she had to quit school in the 7th grade to help support her eleven brothers and sisters. My grandson is in the 7th grade right now and I can't imagine him having a full time job. But she did, she worked at Chicago Pie factory until she grew up and married. What a way to grow up, hey. But there were no child labor laws back then.

My parents never spanked, slapped or physically abused us in anyway. There was only a little hand spatting during the toddler stage that was it (so I've heard). But my Mother could dish out a tongue lashing that would make you cry and wish you were dead. She was great at making you feel guilty. And strict, Oh Lord my parents were strict. Strict and loving, yet I don't ever remember hearing the words, I love you. But you could feel the love in that house. I remember hateing the fact that they were so strict but I don't ever remember hateing my parents like some kids do. When we went visiting we sat like our parents did unless we were given permission to play and we didn't even take a cookie if we were offered one until we gave a quick glance at Mom and she nodded up and down. If not then it was no thank you I'm not hungry even if we were starving. Momma's word was the law and we never forgot that.

When I was older she knew she had done her job right, so she could enjoy just going out shopping with us or to supper, just one of the girls laughing and joking. And when I married, well she tryed to butt out as much as she could. But if there was something that really bugged her , she was going to spit it out sooner or later. We all prayed for later.

Eventually I devorced and remarried and moved away. Far away and never got the chance to go back. We had our occasional phone calls and letters, lots of letters. She came to visit one time , which I am eternally greatful for. I missed her a lot, even though her advise always sounded more like she was picking on me.

Then one day she past away, and my heart broke. I would never get the chance to go back out there and visit her. I miss her terribly. She seems to be on my mind more now then when she was alive. There's not a day that go's by that I don't wish I could pick up the phone or send her a picture of one of her great grandchildren.

There are good times and bad times between every parent and child. But you know what the greatest thing is about having your Mother ------Knowing that she's there!!

3 Comments:

Blogger oakleyses said...

ugg boots, oakley sunglasses, replica watches, ugg boots, nike air max, cheap oakley sunglasses, nike free, michael kors outlet, polo ralph lauren outlet, longchamp outlet, jordan shoes, longchamp, ray ban sunglasses, michael kors outlet, prada handbags, ugg boots, oakley sunglasses, chanel handbags, uggs on sale, oakley sunglasses, polo ralph lauren outlet, christian louboutin outlet, ray ban sunglasses, burberry outlet online, michael kors outlet, louboutin outlet, ugg boots, louboutin shoes, michael kors outlet, louis vuitton, nike air max, ray ban sunglasses, prada outlet, louis vuitton, louboutin, oakley sunglasses, tiffany jewelry, louis vuitton outlet, burberry, kate spade outlet, louis vuitton outlet, nike outlet, tory burch outlet

6:34 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

pandora charms, ugg,ugg australia,ugg italia, moncler, ugg pas cher, moncler outlet, vans, thomas sabo, canada goose, barbour, bottes ugg, louis vuitton, moncler, karen millen, hollister, marc jacobs, wedding dresses, canada goose outlet, moncler, pandora charms, ray ban, louis vuitton, montre pas cher, canada goose, supra shoes, louis vuitton, barbour jackets, ugg boots uk, toms shoes, moncler, converse outlet, moncler, juicy couture outlet, pandora jewelry, sac louis vuitton pas cher, doudoune canada goose, converse, replica watches, nike air max, lancel, canada goose, coach outlet, pandora jewelry, juicy couture outlet, moncler, doke gabbana outlet, ugg,uggs,uggs canada, canada goose outlet, links of london, canada goose, gucci, moncler

6:43 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

removal company birmingham
removal company glasgow
removal company liverpool

8:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker