Saturday, June 18, 2005

************ REMINISCING ***********

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Someone posted a beautiful picture of a beach in California a while back and it's been haunting me ever since, but in a good way.
Every time I see a beach front picture I tend to digress back in time, remembering what it was like growing up in California where beaches are abundant. It's a wonderful thing.
As far back as I can remember we all loved going to the beach. My sister was 5 yrs. older then me and as soon as she was old enough to drive, we spent every living spare moment at the beach and every summer, all summer long. We lived just off of the famous 101Hwy. and about 15 min. from Redondo beach. My sister of course always had a girlfriend of hers to take with us but since she was so much older then me there was no need for parental supervision --SWEEEET !!
At home she was 90% big sister bitch , but at the beach she was always great. She did her thing and I did mine, which in the beginning mine was looking for sea shells and finding an occasional star fish. Until I got a little older and I got to pick out my favorite bathing suit. A one piece LOL strapless, wow I thought I was it. All thos yrs at the beach I never learned to swim.
Calif. beaches can be treacherous. They have a under - toe . That is when one wave go's out while another is coming in and if your in the right place when they break it can knock your legs out from under you and pull you under so I never went very far out.
One of lifes most scary and most embarrasing moments happened to me at that beach. My sister and her best friend decided to help me have some fun. So they took me out beyond my safe zone where the water was dangerously deep . With one on each side of me they held me up by the upper part of my arms . The water was already up to their arm pits and when the big waves would come they'ed stand their ground,hold their breath and hold me up over thier heads so that I wouldn't swallow a bunch of water. O.K. it was fun-- Until they dropped me. I nearly downed that day. When I hit the bottom I tried to dig my hands in the sand. I coudn't yell for holding my breath. It felt like the water was pulling me out. I could hear my sister screaming my name and crying and yelling at her friend to find me. I couldn't see them thru the dark green water so I figured they'ed never find me and I was on my way out to sea, I couldn't hold my breath much longer anyway. At that moment I felt a hand grab my arm and my sister screaming "I 've got her", then another grabbing my other arm. They were pulling me to safety and I was fighting them every step of the way. They just couldn't understand why. They thought I had completely lost my mind from fright. They were screaming at me so loud they couldn't hear me trying to say wait don't go to the sallow end yet. My beautiful strapless swim suit was down around my ankles. I had managed somehow to get it waist high before they yanked me completely up and out, but Oh lord they exposed my poor little (barely training bra size ) boobs to the opened air. I thought I would die. But it was O.K. I learned how much she loved me, hmmm or was she just afraid of getting grounded?
One of the best times I ever had at that beach was discovering Grunion hunting. People always talked about it but we had never tryed it . For those of you who don't know what they are. They are little fish, very thin and about 5 to6 or 7 inches long. They come in and go out with the waves to spawn very, very quickly, during high tides at the full and new moons. Yes they do this after dark. One day my father came home and said it's Grunion season, let's go and see what it's like. People where everywhere. I think there was more people there at night then in the day. Everyone brings buckets to put the Grunion in and you hunt by the light of the moon. And somehow everyone seemed so much more friendly. There were camp fires going and a lot of comradary.The waves rush in and you run out and try to grab the little buggers before they get away. Some people had buckets full. We caught quite a few, but we gave ours back to the sea. It was lots of fun, but it was more fun watching the other people.
I hear California has changed a lot over the years. I left 30 yrs ago and never went back. I loved growing up in California. I always liked going on trips and vacations, but I never wanted to live anywhere else. We stayed with a beautiful dark golden tan, that no modern day tanning bed has yet to match and I never really minded that the tan just made the scare on my face show up more, Oh , I didn't tell you I was attacked by a dog (Chow) when I was 4 yrs. old. I made the Detroit news papers, I was a celeb. ha ha, but that's another story.
My dream was to have a home over looking the ocean, but life takes strange turns and I never got to do that. Instead I moved further and further away from the ocean and finally ended up here in the south.
Why ? you say, Well I caught that dreaded disease -- I fell in love. lol
Ah, NOSTALGIA , it can make one happy and sad all at the same time.


( I just couldn't resest this Pilican )
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

15 Comments:

Blogger fairygirl701 said...

BWAHAHAHAHA!!! Great story!! You poor thing! That is scary that you almost drowned, but then the embarassement of the suit being down! Oh lord! I hope your crush was not in viewing distance, you really would've died then!

The Grunion hunting sounds so fun...almost like a yearly fesitval. You and me both bit in the face by Chows--they are evil!!!

I loved California when I went...maybe you can take a vacation soon there...that would be fun!

5:40 PM  
Blogger EXSENO said...

I don't think I'ed better I don't think I would ever come back and my kids couldn't stand it, especially the grand kid. My little manly man.

Well kindred souls Chows found us both a tasty treat. Where did you get it. There was no one home to help me, I had to have plastic surgery on my face.

6:11 PM  
Blogger lizzyjane said...

That picture is simply gorgeous.
I LOVE the story!

11:08 AM  
Blogger fairygirl701 said...

I was lucky enough that the chow let go when I screamed. I only have 3 tiny scars on the right side of my face now. They used that superglue stuff and it worked wonders!!

3:47 PM  
Blogger fairygirl701 said...

I forgot to say, this was only in 1999! I was an adult at the time!

3:48 PM  
Blogger EXSENO said...

Oh, wow I bet you were scared to death.

4:31 PM  
Blogger mojoala said...

I love the picture too!

Only to meet the end of each and every day with a view such as that....

7:45 AM  
Blogger EXSENO said...

Callie, Don't do it , come back. Your giveing a few mean people just what they want. Come on you know you enjoy it. Please don't go , the good people out weigh the bad!!! boo hoo.

9:33 AM  
Blogger David Stehle said...

Hey EXSENO, nice beach pic there. Psst, check your e-mail when you get a chance. ;)

For Callie...
I had a feeling the bitchy message board women that were bothering you found their way to your blog to continue the hating. Pathetic on their part if that was the case why you deleted your blog. You know you can password protect the blog to allow only certain people to have access to it. So if you wanted to continue blogging without the problems of some disruptive others, that is one solution. Good luck to you and if all else fails, you are always welcome to hang on my blog.

11:33 AM  
Blogger EXSENO said...

Me too Callie, don't stop blogging for all the wrong reasons I know you like it. And see there Diamond always has a good way of fixing everything!!!

12:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes they moved me to hell at the age of 2 or 3 and I have been here every since wahhhhh I could have went to collegde at ucla and I would have my doctrine in marine biology but oh no You people had to move me here.... to a place that is not as nice a mayberry but just like peyton place oh well atleast I do have great friends here that I love and family to so I guess my roots are planted I am a redneck for life.{NOT}

12:06 AM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

ugg boots, oakley sunglasses, replica watches, ugg boots, nike air max, cheap oakley sunglasses, nike free, michael kors outlet, polo ralph lauren outlet, longchamp outlet, jordan shoes, longchamp, ray ban sunglasses, michael kors outlet, prada handbags, ugg boots, oakley sunglasses, chanel handbags, uggs on sale, oakley sunglasses, polo ralph lauren outlet, christian louboutin outlet, ray ban sunglasses, burberry outlet online, michael kors outlet, louboutin outlet, ugg boots, louboutin shoes, michael kors outlet, louis vuitton, nike air max, ray ban sunglasses, prada outlet, louis vuitton, louboutin, oakley sunglasses, tiffany jewelry, louis vuitton outlet, burberry, kate spade outlet, louis vuitton outlet, nike outlet, tory burch outlet

7:10 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

michael kors, oakley pas cher, kate spade handbags, ralph lauren uk, ralph lauren pas cher, north face, michael kors, michael kors, burberry, hogan, hollister pas cher, nike roshe, sac guess, ray ban pas cher, ray ban uk, coach outlet, true religion outlet, air force, coach purses, nike roshe run, lululemon, coach factory outlet, coach outlet, timberland, true religion jeans, vanessa bruno, nike blazer, nike free, nike air max, hollister, new balance pas cher, vans pas cher, nike free run uk, nike air max, lacoste pas cher, louboutin pas cher, air jordan pas cher, michael kors, sac longchamp, north face, true religion jeans, abercrombie and fitch, tn pas cher, air max, longchamp pas cher, true religion jeans, converse pas cher, mulberry, hermes, nike air max

7:12 PM  
Blogger chenlina said...

flops
north face
ugg boots
coach outlet online
ugg boots
moncler jackets
scarpe hogan
uggs outlet
jordans
coach outlet online
chenlina20171125

4:32 PM  
Blogger chenmeinv0 said...

jordans
ugg australia
giuseppe zanotti
dansko shoes
nike air
air max
moncler
ray ban
nike free
jordan
2018.1.30xukaimin

12:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker