Sunday, August 21, 2005

H.S. THOMPSON JOURNALIST/ WRITER




Gonzo Writer Thompson's Ashes Blast Off
With a deafening boom, the ashes of Hunter S. Thompson were blown into the sky amid fireworks late Saturday as relatives and a star-studded crowd bid an irreverent farewell to the founder of "gonzo journalism."

As the ashes erupted from a tower, red, white, blue and green fireworks lit up the sky over Thompson's home near Aspen.

"I'll always remember where I was when Hunter was blown into the heavens," said Thompson's neighbor, Rita Sherman, who watched the spectacle from the deck of her house.

The 15-story tower was modeled after Thompson's logo: a clenched fist, made symmetrical with two thumbs, rising from the hilt of a dagger. It was built between his home and a tree-covered canyon wall, not far from a tent filled with merrymakers.

"He loved explosions," explained his wife, Anita Thompson.
Anita Thompson said Depp funded much of the celebration.

"We had talked a couple of times about his last wishes to be shot out of a cannon of his own design," Depp told The Associated Press last month. "All I'm doing is trying to make sure his last wish comes true. I just want to send my pal out the way he wants to go out."
********************

I just had to share this awsome memorial held August 20,2005. It's a shame that Mr. Thompson chose to take his own life on February 20th. He was a man that wasn't affraid to take a risk saying At the height of the Watergate era, that Richard Nixon represented "that dark, venal, and incurably violent side of the American character." Thompson had never expected to be successful taking on President Nixon during the Watergate era. "He thought he would be banned or put on an enemies' list." I think it's great that it didn't effect his life in the way that he thought it would instead he went on to become very famous.
He was also the model for Garry Trudeau's balding "Uncle Duke" in the comic strip "Doonesbury."
And apparently loved by many, many celebraties for there were certainly many attending this memorial.

A party and a celebration memorial for a man who certainly made himself immortal through his writings.


5 Comments:

Blogger mojoala said...

I shalt do some research on this man of reknown....

6:43 AM  
Blogger EXSENO said...

Give me money and fame and I'll show you what contentment is.lol

Seriously, I think he was in ill health and didn't want to go out that way. I don't think I could do that for any reason. In my religion that is a huge sin.

8:38 AM  
Blogger Abbas Halai said...

he will definitely be missed though. he did some remarkable work. as crazy as that sounds.

3:30 PM  
Blogger EXSENO said...

Yes he did.

3:32 PM  
Blogger Brooks Brown said...

I wonder if we will have a gonzo journalist in this era who will reveal all the shady underhandedness in our current administration. I have heard so many comparisons to Bush and Nixon.
I was pleased that the newspaper I work for put this story on page 2 of the Sunday paper. I am sure many conservatives don't even know who he is, but people in journalism sure do. Nice post Exseno.

6:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker