Thursday, August 11, 2005

SO WHY DO MEN HAVE NIPPLES

By John Zawadzinski
Wed Aug 3,11:26 AM ET

Have you ever wondered why your teeth chatter when you're cold, or if you could really catch a disease from sitting on a toilet seat?

New York physician Billy Goldberg, pestered by unusual questions at cocktail parties and other social gatherings over the years, puts the public's mind at ease in his book "Why Do Men Have Nipples?" which hits the book stores on Tuesday.

"It's really remarkable how often you get accosted," said Goldberg, 39. "There are the medical questions from family and friends, and then there are the drunk and outrageous questions where somebody wants to drop their pants and show you a rash or something."

The book, subtitled, "Hundreds of Questions You'd Only Ask a Doctor After Your Third Martini," (Three Rivers Press), is co-authored by humorist Mark Leyner.

"People tend to know so little about their bodies as compared to their cars or their laptops," said Leyner, 49, of Hoboken, New Jersey. "When I worked in a pharmacy in Washington, D.C., people would ask me medical questions all the time. I was just a 22-year-old cashier at Rite Aid."

Chattering teeth is one way the body tries to generate heat.

When the body gets too cold, the area of the brain called the hypothalamus alerts the rest of the body to begin warming up. Shivering, the rapid muscle movement that generates heat, then begins. Teeth chattering represents localized shivering.

During the course of their research, Goldberg and Leyner found reports of gonorrhea, pinworm and roundworm found on toilet seats -- but catching something from it isn't common.

The authors discovered that an office setting might be worse for your health than toilet seats. Charles Gerba, a microbiologist at the University of Arizona, found the typical office desk harbors some 400 times more disease-causing bacteria than the average toilet seat.

Goldberg had compiled a list of nagging questions for several years before embarking on the book after meeting Leyner. The two met while working on a short-lived ABC-TV medical drama, "Wonderland," in which Leyner served as a writer, while Goldberg was its medical advisor.

BURNING QUESTIONS

Some of the burning questions answered in the humorous book include "What causes morning breath?" and "Why do beans give you gas?"

Goldberg says morning breath results from anaerobic bacteria, the xerostomia (dry mouth) or the volatile sulfur compounds (which are waste products from the bacteria). Other contributing factors to foul oral odor includes medication, alcohol, sugar, smoking, caffeine, and eating dairy products.

Beans contain high percentages of sugars that our bodies are unable to digest, Goldberg explains. When the sugars make it to the intestines, bacteria go to work and start producing large amounts of gas.

And if you're ever bitten by a poisonous snake, sucking at the bite to remove the poison, as often shown in the movies and on TV is not only ineffective, but could lead to an infection.

Instead, the bite should be washed with soap and water and immobilized. The bitten area should also be kept lower than the heart. Medical help should be sought immediately.

And why do men have nipples?

While only females have mammary glands, we all start out in a similar way in the embryo, the authors explain. The embryo follows a female template until about six weeks, when the male sex chromosome kicks in.
Men, however, have already developed nipples by that time.
****************************
If this is true, why then does the Bible say Eve was made from Adam. According to this article sounds like it might have been the other way around "
I quote -- "The embryo follows a female template until about six weeks"
So was Eve made from Adam, or was Adam made from Eve ???? Keeping in mind that this article was written using scientific facts and the Bible was written by man, Not God. What do you think!

40 Comments:

Blogger Becky said...

Ah-HA! I knew it! :-P That is so gross, my desk is dirtier than a toilet seat... EUWWWWW...

7:48 AM  
Blogger EXSENO said...

Yup, yup, yup.

8:33 AM  
Blogger mojoala said...

I saw that on the news. My wife wants to buy the book, she is sold.

hmmmmmmmm, the female template, you gonna have some christians irate with you on that....

and with the issue of intelligent design vs evolution and is springing up....

8:42 AM  
Blogger mojoala said...

see exseno, you think like i do....

8:42 AM  
Blogger mojoala said...

anybody know what happened to avik and her blog?

8:43 AM  
Blogger EXSENO said...

It's a scientific fact, let em hollar if they want to. I'm christian too. But facts are facts.

8:44 AM  
Blogger EXSENO said...

What happened to Avik, Or are you asking????

9:09 AM  
Blogger mojoala said...

yes, her blog is gone.

9:53 AM  
Blogger mojoala said...

what happened to her?

9:53 AM  
Blogger EXSENO said...

I don't know, I thought you could answer that? But I see now your asking the same question.

9:55 AM  
Blogger mojoala said...

do you remember AVIK? or did she never post a comment here?

9:59 AM  
Blogger EXSENO said...

Yes we commented back and fourth, I don't know why it's gone, but I feel terrible. I really like it.

10:04 AM  
Blogger EXSENO said...

Interesting , Thank you for your views.

10:40 AM  
Blogger Rachael said...

great topic :)

10:44 AM  
Blogger EXSENO said...

Food for thought, that's all , just food for thought.

10:46 AM  
Blogger Becky said...

I LOVE YOU EXSENO!! Thank you so much for taking that guy down a peg on Chris's blog, I hate it when I voice my opinion and someone gets on me about it, I avoid confrontation at almost all costs.

10:51 AM  
Blogger EXSENO said...

Will I always try to be a bit rumble and polite , so that there is no confrontation. Did it work. lol

10:53 AM  
Blogger Becky said...

I hope so, we'll just see though. Thanks again, you're such a sweet heart! :-D

10:54 AM  
Blogger EXSENO said...

I hope you know I meant humble. Dah

11:28 AM  
Blogger David Stehle said...

Ha-ha EXSENO! I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the title of your post. Back in college I remember the one time "studying" (cough) with my girlfriend and she brought up the same question..."why do guys have nipples". She said they were "pointless" so I had to defend my fellow man and tried racking my brain to give her some logical reasons as to why God gave us nipples too and here is how I made my "point".

My answer - I came up with "they are for decorative purposes". You know a chest would look a little blah without them. Now granted nipples look WAY better on a woman because they have something behind them to focus on and the nipple is just the focal "point". Get it? ;)

Anyways, I told my girlfriend I would write her a 1 page essay on the male nipple because she wasn't completely satisfied with the answer I had given her there on the spot. To this day I bet she has held onto that essay. She told me it cracks her up every time she read it.

12:17 PM  
Blogger EXSENO said...

Oh, I love it that is to funny.hahaha

12:20 PM  
Blogger Brooks Brown said...

hey exseno,
i saw your post on mojo's blog and love this topic of random human body facts. in our high school biology class we talked about this topic and our teacher, a man, told us that with certain hormone injections a man could lactate. of course all the guys in our class were totally disgusted. i joke around with my next door neighbor, who just had a baby, that with a few simple injections her husband could be feeding the baby while she goes away for a rock and roll weekend.

7:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Like I always said the bible was written by man !!! not that I don't believe in god I just don't believe to much in the authentisity of the bible it was revised on the request of king james hence the king james version and it was wrote according to what and how he thought that we should know. And what he thought we should believe. You know science has always played a key role in the way I look at alot of things.

10:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey brooks not only with injections can a man lactate but I saw a news type show kind of like dateline where just by the power of suggestion everyday this guys boobs grew and he began to lactate. It came about when his wife got pregnant and he wanted to experience what she was going throught so that he could feel a greater conection during the duration of the digestion period with his wife and wouldn't be left out......I thought it was gross and also alittle sweet at the thought that he loved his wife so much that he wanted to experience the same things.

10:12 PM  
Blogger EXSENO said...

tres cee,
Are you going to be blogging?? All I could find was your url.

11:45 AM  
Blogger S A J Shirazi said...

Nice pointer. Would like to follow the subject and know more about why do I have nipples. I was so busy that never noticed!

8:10 PM  
Blogger Refreshment in Refuge said...

Actually, the Bible was God-breathed using men's hands. Some prefer, God inspired. Either way, it was through the Holy Spirit.

I find it interesting that the phrase "female template until about 6 weeks" was used. That's like using a fill in the blank form. Template?

Diamond -- I thought everybody knew that the male has nipples so that we know where to put those little rings with the tassels.

8:28 PM  
Blogger EXSENO said...

I,m glad you came for this one, I was afraid you would be offened and wouldn't comment.

And I'm so glad that you set Diamondkt straight too. lol

8:38 PM  
Blogger EXSENO said...

Shirazi,
Womens, nipples can serve a purpose for feeding babies. Our delema is to figure out why men have them. They couldn't nomally feed a baby even if they wanted to. So why are they even born with nipples?
By the way I really liked the post I read on your site today. It was very good.

8:49 PM  
Blogger Brooks Brown said...

the sympathy breasts are a little bizarre, but slightly sweet. I have noticed to sympathy belly from fathers. I wish I could develop a sympathy six pack from all my various buff friends.

9:29 PM  
Blogger Refreshment in Refuge said...

No, I wasn't offended :) I hope you don't mind I set the record straight ;)

2:01 PM  
Blogger EXSENO said...

Oh not at all. The whole purpose of it was to stir up some views for each other to read. I think it's great.

2:03 PM  
Blogger David Stehle said...

Can't say I've ever had those nipple things on me, but the little tassels on women are kind of cool in a stripper like way - lol.

Too bad I don't have a copy of my "The Purpose Of The Male Nipple" essay. I'm sure it would make for enlightening reading for all. ;)

10:52 AM  
Blogger EXSENO said...

Diamondkt, you are just going to have to find that essay and make a post.

12:44 PM  
Blogger David Stehle said...

Well to get that essay it would require getting ahold of my ex-girlfriend and searching thru her place in San Deigo because that is where she lives now.

9:51 PM  
Blogger EXSENO said...

OH No, what essay? I don't know nothing about not essay. I difenately don't want to see an essay. lol

10:18 PM  
Blogger EXSENO said...

Oh wait we aren't talking about the same one are we? Girl I mean, Opps

10:21 PM  
Blogger David Stehle said...

It was a joke essay, not a real paper silly. See the comment I made up a few - I explain it there. Also, no not the same girl you are thinking of. This was a girlfriend who I went to college with and then after we graduated she moved to San Diego, long heart breaking story - I'll spare you the details. You may of heard me mention her on my blog before. My buddies refer to her as my "Jessica Simpson ex" because they say she resembled her. See, there we go again with the so and so looks like so and so junk. :P

10:47 AM  
Blogger EXSENO said...

yup, I figured that one out all by myself, after I made the dumb comment. hehehe

4:23 PM

4:24 PM  
Blogger John said...

canada goose jackets
ugg outlet
lebron 12
toms shoes
hollister uk
coach outlet online
tods outlet
ugg boots outlet
polo ralph lauren
cheap oakley sunglasses
fake oakleys
christian louboutin outlet
ugg outlet store
mulberry handbags
coach outlet store online
louis vuitton handbags
nike air huarache
michaek kors outlet
michael kors outlet
michael kors outlet
louis vuitton handbags
uggs clearance
ugg boots on sale
coach factory outlet
louis vuitton bags
20151224yuanyuan

11:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker