Friday, March 03, 2006

ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK

Looks inviting doesn't it?

I always thought that if I where invited to use someone's hot tub I'd jump in with both feet without hesitation. I even thought of how nice it would be to have my own someday. But after reading an article on hot tubs and whirlpools I'm not so sure.

A new study about whirlpool bathtubs showed that they can be a breeding ground for a host of disease-causing bacteria. O.K. that's understandable, I'm sure there is a lot of care involved in owning one, but then again you don't know what kind of care that hot tub or whirlpool is getting from it's owner.

A & M University tested 43 water samples from both private and public whirlpool bathtubs. Every tub tested had some kind of microbial growth, and that's without testing for viral infestation.
In 95 percent of the tubs, bacteria derived from feces were present, while 81 percent had fungi and 34 percent contained potentially deadly staphylococcus bacteria. Yuk!

A teaspoon of normal tap water contains about 138 bacteria and many samples are bacteria-free. A teaspoon of whirlpool tub water, on the other hand, contains an average of more than 2 million bacteria.

The interior pipes of whirlpool baths that are not filtered or chemically treated, and non-maintained hot tubs, are prime areas for potentially infectious microbes to congregate and grow. These organisms often form a biofilm - a community of organisms, which work together and are more resistant to cleaners. Resistant to cleaners, Yiiiiks!
When the jets are switched on, the bacteria-packed water gets blown into the tub. "Due to the movement of the water, an aerosol is created that carries these organisms down into your lungs or other orifices.

The bacteria found in whirlpool baths can lead to a number of diseases, including urinary tract infections, skin infections, and pneumonia.
So who is most at risk? "Of course the young and the old and the immunocompromised should not be exposed, including breathing in the aerosol from outside the tub."
Think about it, you can breath in these diseases just by standing next to the tub because they are airborne.

A chemically maintained hot tub should not be a problem to a healthy person (emphasis on healthy) but if you are having recurring infections, consider the tub as a potential source."

Hot tub party? I don't think so, seems like risky business to me, so should that invitation arise I think I'll just have to play it safe and pass.

7 Comments:

Blogger Becky said...

The thought of getting into a hot tub is so relaxing, thanks for ruining it EX! lol

Happy Friday, Hope you have a good weekend!

8:34 AM  
Blogger EXSENO said...

You too Becky.

9:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL... i was about to say exactly the same thing as becky :D

now i'm scared... :(

9:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you should be scared. I seen a girl who got into a hot tub after having a new tatoo. guess what she got a flesh eating bacteria from the hot tub, it was nasty. every since then I don't want any part of one unless it is mine and then I know it will be disinfected drained and bleached when not in use...lol

12:14 AM  
Blogger David Stehle said...

That was gross reading. Educational, but gross. I feel all dirty and used now, like a street whore. Seriously, I get all those terms mixed up - hot tub, whirlpool, Jacuzzi. I have a one of those bubble blowing bath tubs in my master bedroom/bath. I'm not sure what the official name for it would be now...you threw too much info at my little pea sized brain so I can't comprehend at the moment. ;)

Anyway, I'm a bit of a germ-free/neat freak person, so other than myself, there have been very few people that have used my tub. I highly doubt I would catch anything or vice versa. Of course now you have me a little paranoid, thanks alot. So much for the relaxation of water - sheesh.

12:56 PM  
Blogger EXSENO said...

hehehe

9:04 AM  
Blogger mojoala said...

Adequate chlorination will fix that!

Anyway what's wrong with a few germs? Gotta keep that immune system in tip top shape!

hmmmmmmmm, I blogged about this once....

12:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker