Sunday, January 29, 2006

GOING FOREWORD

It's a new day, in a new year and I know I must go foreword, but how does one go foreword with all of the baggage they must carry from their past.

Each morning I will get up and be me as everyone knows me. I will smile and laugh and do all of the things that I am suppose to do, but they don't see, what only I can see.

I walk into the new year one step at a time while directly behind me, follows all of my ghosts of years gone by.
All of the memories, those haunting memories, the ones that seem to linger in you longer than any others. The ones you can not forget no matter how much you want to.
The hurt, the anger, the tears, the fears, the prayers and finally the funeral.
The funeral that lingers on indelibly glued to the inner side of my pupils for me to view over and over again, when I'm most vulernable, when I least expect it, when I most want to forget it.

I no longer sleep well. I have had insomnia for almost fifteen years now. That is how long it has been.
I doze on the couch during the evening because I walk the floor in the middle of the night when the others fall asleep, that is when I am up. In the middle of the night that is when it is the most difficult.

On those occasions when I do go to my bed I lay may head upon my pillow and as I roll onto my side I think of how it was those many years ago. That cold pillow, that once was a warm arm that pulled me close to a warm person who slept with his arms wrapped around me every night all night for years.
It's almost like he is here. I can smell him, to this day. His sent, indelibly stamped into my mind forever. I loved to lay my face upon his chest and breath him into me body and sole, that fresh clean soothing smell all his own.
I pull the covers over me and the warmth of the blankets comfort me and I move my hand back and forth over one side of an empty bed and I am consumed in memories, then I roll back over onto my back .
I snuggle under the warm blankets and fold my arms over each other and put each hand on the opposite upper arm and hold on and pretend that he is holding me and the memories flood my mind, with hot wet tears rolling down the sides of my face I pray for sleep so that I may dream-- dream sweet dreams where there are no tears.

Tomorrow and every day of this year I will get up and play the game of going foreword. But at night, I will go back in time, back to live my fantasies, -- fantasies that once were reality,
and I remember those famous words, 'To sleep, perchance to dream', and suddenly I know their meaning.

Good night my sweet --- I'll see you in my dreams.

15 Comments:

Blogger EXSENO said...

My husband was born and died on the same day, July 3rd. So why does it bother me so much in January, well I guess because today would have been our wedding aniversary.

7:31 AM  
Blogger Anisa said...

*HUG*

not sure what the right words are, but you are an amazing woman and writer.

happy anniversary...i'm sure he's looking down on you from heaven.

9:10 AM  
Blogger Abbas Halai said...

hey ex.
i know how bad having insomnia can be. it's the worst thing i ever experienced in my life. it consumed me during university in my third year for about ten minutes during which i slept about 20 minutes a night. it was weird since i have no history of it.

the lying down and brain not being able to shut down with vivd thoughts and days gone by racing through your head. the tossing and turning that you think may be able to put you in the exact position that you may fall asleep in. the headaches and your head feeling like you're carrying a bag of bricks on top. the drooping eyes and the pacing up and down.

it is truly horrible. i've had a lot of problems in my life medically speaking (from typhoid to jaundice to chicken pox to measles and mumps to broken bones and hernia surgeries but this was the worst thing i have ever been through. the doctors couldnt figure out why i'd suddenly become insomniac and i was put on sleeping pills but they barely had any effect. the optician recommended i have a couple of glasses of scotch to a few tokes of weed but those weren't options i was willing to take every day. i ended up having to leave university after another family friend recommended i get a chance in environment and moved back to pakistan for a year. it royally sucked.

my point is, you're not alone ex. last year a very close friend died in front of my eyes after having known him for 17 years and i had to inform his parents and family of it. it was one of the hardest things i've done in my life.

i truly feel your pain. take care of yourself.

11:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i wish i know what to say
i wish i know how to give you comfort right now
i wish i know to give you a hug in person instead of virtually
i wish i know what to do

i don't.

but,
i know that i hate insomnia
i know how it feels to miss someone very close to you
and i know that before i go to sleep tonite, you will be in my prayer.

11:27 PM  
Blogger David Stehle said...

That was well written and well...very sad too. You know how everyone always says to look at the bright side? Well I suppose there is a bright side even during the night. Maybe tonight when you pull those covers up, you will remember the fact that you were blessed and lucky to have him in your life all those years - all those good years. Perhaps that thought will cover you in warmth and give you the comfort you need instead.

11:15 AM  
Blogger Becky said...

I'm so sorry Exseno. 8'-( That's so sad. I know it must hurt like hell, but I'm sure he would want you to be happy. 8-)

12:09 PM  
Blogger EXSENO said...

EXSENO said...
Anisa,
I know exactly what you mean and I finally realized there is no right or wrong.
Thanks but I'm not amazing just a woman.


Abbas,
Thank you, I'm glad that you shared, I had no idea that you had been through so much, I know that you can understand and I appreciate you taking the time.


Parkway,
I can tell by your writings that you know more then you care to share of hard times. Still waters run deep.



'ka,
To be in your prayers would be an honor.


Diamond,
There is always a bright side. I loved him so much it will last until we meet again.


Becky,
If you want to know the truth if he could have taken me with him he would have. So I gave him strict instructions. To build a little cottage with a white picket fence around it, on our own cloud before I get there and he'd better be working on it too.

4:34 PM  
Blogger Id it is said...

Cherish yesterday but don't forget to live today.
T.S. Eliot words say it all so beautifully:
"Time present and time past
Are both perhaps present in time future,
And time future contained in time past.
If all time is eternally present
All time is unredeemable."

1:19 PM  
Blogger mojoala said...

Very beautiful story Exseno. I will pray for your peace of mind and soul.

My own blog will be changing in format. I will be going in a more spiritual manner of things. Some incidents during the Christmas holidays have changed me in a manner that I can no longer continue as I have blogged in the past. Some blogs I use to visit I will no longer visit because of their content. I spend more of my time at CatholicAnswers.org in the forums there under the username "JoeyWarren". I ask questions and I give answers to Protestants that visit there to ask question. I moving on toward the path of being a "Catholic Apologist". Small clue as to why: I was informed by my Father and Step-mother that they did not recognize my family as Christians because my membership in the Catholic Church, they are actually convinced that Catholics are pagan if not Satanic.
For those of you that I don't visit anymore, forgive me, but I must do what I must do.

God bless....

6:45 AM  
Blogger EXSENO said...

Mojo,
I love you and wish you well. Take care.

7:47 AM  
Blogger Refreshment in Refuge said...

Exseno, I am so sorry I lost your comment! I switched to moderator mode and it has made my life much easier... but, it took a while to get used to it.

I deeply understand your pain. At the risk of taking up some space here...

When my ex husband tossed me out of his house in Arizona, I thought I would die from the rejection from someone I loved deeply. I slept that night in a Super 8 motel on a very soggy pillow. I felt the hand of God press me into that mattress and I knew then, that God would take care of me through any valley of death I trod. I understand that longing!
I felt it, too.

God has His hand on you.

3:35 PM  
Blogger EXSENO said...

I'm so sorry Gina, I wasn't sure what happened to your marriage. Sometimes I think that is a loss worse then being seperated by death. It is a hard thing to accept either way.

4:37 PM  
Blogger EXSENO said...

Id it is,

Yes he does say it beautifully and so do you. Thank you.

7:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sorry mom I just can't bring myself to read this I have tried twice but broke down both times.

8:26 PM  
Blogger fairygirl701 said...

*tear* while reading this I thought about how it would feel to lose Chuck. ..*sigh*...Big hugs to you dear.

3:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker