Saturday, October 22, 2005

DOES HE KNOW SOMTHING


You want a smoking or non-smoking cave?
Oct 12, 9:54 AM ET
There's no room service, no swimming pool, no microwave oven, no coffee machine, no television, no electricity.

But the accommodations do include mattresses and wood stoves.

An 89-year-old retired construction worker this month began advertising cave stays in east-central Idaho for $5 per night, or $25 a month.

Richard Zimmerman, also known as "Dugout Dick," said his dwellings can double as bomb shelters and serve as mining sites for people who bring their own picks.

Zimmerman, himself a cave resident, has spent decades carving out a dozen quarters from a hillside overlooking the Salmon River rapids.

Now he said it's time to break from his labors and help jump-start tourism in this remote mountain community.

The caves stretch as far as 100 feet into the hillside and are bolstered by rocks, peeled fir poles, mud and straw.

So far, a few tourists from overseas -- one from England, another from Spain -- have taken him up on the offer. Zimmerman said they did not take to life underground.

"It's not for everyone," the self-styled Salmon River caveman acknowledged. But "I expect the trade will pick up anytime now."

*************************
After reading the news article I became curious about Dugout Dick so I did some research and
here he is. I like his cave much better then the one I posted above. Five bucks, hmmm I may have to rent one. I think I'll take the luxury cave for $25.00. After all he seems to think they are going to be in demand and you know what they say, "Wisdom comes with age". Anyone for Idaho?

The
Salmon River Caveman








Richard Zimmerman was born February 26, 1916 in Milford, Indiana. Richard Zimmerman, or "Dugout Dick" the Salmon River Caveman, is the name he has earned from the nature of his existence, and it is a euonym for this remarkable old man.
Since 1948, Dugout Dick has been literally chiseling out an existence in Elk Bend, Idaho. Above the banks of the Salmon River, and visible from Highway 93, a homestead of unusual appearance beckons the curious to visit this Flinstone-like hillside. Dugout Dick is a modern version of Barney Rubble. His rubblework is amazing!

Dick had worked for farmers and ranchers and served in the military for fourteen months when he received a reprieve to come home. An Idaho dairy farmer needed his help. Dick decided to begin searching for a place he could call home. He found many places along the Salmon River suitable, and in 1948, he decided on a location 18 miles south of Salmon, Idaho and staked out his claim.

Working with a team of mules, Dick cleared the land while he lived in a tent. With the closest bridge a mile away, he built his own road to the bridge in order to get out for supplies. He started a garden and over the years he improved the soil and now grows enough vegetables for himself and some to sell at the local health food store in town.

Dick has dug many caves along the banks of the river, using only a pick, shovel and prybar. The one Dick lives in is dug about 12 feet wide and 30 feet deep into the hillside. He has no electricity or modern heating or plumbing, and no telephone. A natural ice cave provides a place to keep cool drinks and other perishables.

Dick has ingeniously used old automobile windshields embedded in the rubblework for windows that let in light and heat. Old cookstoves provide heat for the winter and for cooking.

Dick has dug so many caves, that he now offers them for rent to tourists or people down on their luck. He rents them for $10, $15, or $20 a month. Cool in the summer and warm in the winter, this may be a great bargain. Dick also gives guided tours of his Dugout Ranch. Those who have rented a cave are required to allow his guests to see their cave when he brings tourists by.


Here is the front of Dugout Dicks' real cave.

20 Comments:

Blogger David Stehle said...

I got as far as reading the words "Dick" and "cave" into the story before I began to chuckle. I have such a little boy sense of humor - Beavis & Butthead. :P

1:20 PM  
Blogger EXSENO said...

I knew it, I sear I knew if you saw that name, I could read your mind. hahaha Thanks I needed that!

I wasn't going to post it but since I haven't been able to post a pic. to my blog that was one a had done awhile back for emergency use. I try to have one or two that I can slap up when needed.

3:13 PM  
Blogger Mara said...

Ok... check this out. When I was an exchange student in Germany we would go to the bar ALOT (no drinking age).... ANYWAY. There were these bars called 'Caveau's'... meaning 'cave's'. The thing with caves is you can drink as much as you want because of the altitude and never feel the effects.. but once you start climbing the stairs to leave you usually pass out.. it's crazy. The Germans would take bets on their friends to see if they could make it to the top... kid you friggin not!

::smooches::
Mara

5:36 AM  
Blogger EXSENO said...

Ah Thanks for the info. Stay out of caves while drinking (or stay in the cave all night). Mara, I have learned so much from you this morning. haha

6:16 AM  
Blogger mojoala said...

Well, well, well I might just be interested if there is good fishing spot near by.

6:54 AM  
Blogger Mara said...

LOL.. have you now Exseno? I know, I'm a veritable plethora of information.

::smooches::

8:21 AM  
Blogger EXSENO said...

Of course it has good fishing Mojo,it's right by the Salmon River.

9:26 AM  
Blogger David Stehle said...

awaterpixie, that sounds awesome! Now not only do I want to go visit London to see The Sex Theme Park, but I'm also going to swing by Germany to hit one of those caves and see if I can climb the steps after drinking all night long - FUN, FUN, FUN! :P

As always...who's coming with?

11:16 AM  
Blogger Becky said...

LOL, That's great! Only five bucks a night, 25 a month, it's a back up plan alright.

1:57 PM  
Blogger lizzyjane said...

Woohoo! A cheap place for our honeymoon! tell Dick I'm on my way!

2:03 PM  
Blogger mojoala said...

then I will most definitely check it out!

I am due for a good fishing vacation.

6:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice Blog about dropship electronics. I also have a Blog/Website about dropship electronics which is why I enjoyed this blog so much. Keep up the excellent work! Check out my site if you have a moment.

6:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good post

11:27 AM  
Blogger The Rambling Dragon said...

Just wanted to leave an update for you on Dugout Dick and his caves. I just came back from Challis, ID, which is not too far from Elk Bend on Hwy 93. I stopped at "The Caves" and Dick is no longer there. He was moved into Salmon to a rest home. He still goes out to his caves every now and again, but his age is starting to get the best of him nowdays. The caves them selves are not in the best of shape. Squatters have pretty much ruined most of the caves. There are two gentlemen that stay there on site, but they are not the most trustworthy people.... The Hills Have Eyes is all that needs to be said!

2:27 PM  
Blogger EXSENO said...

The Rambling Dragon,
Thank you so much for the update. That is so sad. I'm so sorry to hear about that and about him, but you know what his ideas will still be remembered by people who knew him or have read about him like me.

The way things are going in our world today we all my need to live in a cave. Opps that lets me out I'm very phobic must have windows.

Thank you again for dropping by.

9:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love this story. He had a wonderful and rich life without the riches of the world. My dad is some what of a hobo and this place sounds great compared to under a bridge.

12:58 PM  
Blogger EXSENO said...

Hi Anonymous,

I'm glad that you enjoyed it. Come back anytime.

3:22 PM  
Anonymous Roulette Payouts said...

I express gratitude for the help in this question.

6:42 AM  
Blogger John said...

michaek kors handbags
ugg boots
jordan 11
ugg boots
gucci outlet
timberland boots
coach factory outlet
coach outlet
coach outlet store online
giuseppe zanotti sneakers
toms
ray ban sunglasses
louis vuitton bags
cheap uggs for sale
cheap nfl jerseys
cheap uggs
timberland boots
louis vuitton outlet
michael kors outlet
north face jacket
mulberry handbags
uggs sale
michael kors outlet
nike air max
oakley sunglasses wholesale
michael kors outlet online
coach outlet
beats by dre
coach factory outlet
louis vuitton backpack
gucci outlet
hollister kids
20151216yuanyuan

10:58 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

qzz0629
freshjive clothing
nike air force 1
ray ban sunglasses
michael kors outlet
nba jerseys
coach outlet
cheap jordans
air max 2017
tory burch outlet
ferragamo outlet

6:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker