Wednesday, October 05, 2005

WE THE PEOPLE, WHERE ARE YOU

I can remember a time when people in the US could pretty much do what ever they wanted to within reason. They could gather together in a public park to hear some candidate for what ever give a speech, or some group could have a singing , or even to protest, or rally for women's rights. In the days of the 'flower child' they could stand on the corner handing out leaflets. You could safely picket a place of business because that was your right. And oh yes, let us not forget that a women's body and being gay was no ones business but their own.

These things are no longer true. They are easier said then done. A speech in the park or even a singing or a protest , you may have to get a permit. Handing out leaflets , well you just might be chased away as a vagrant or a menace. And if you're factory goes on strike, You might want to think twice about picketing. Other then the fact that you just might not get your job back , someone just might come along and throw a brick at your head, then you'll be out of a job and have a hospital bill to boot. Picketing has never been the safest thing, but it used to be a somewhat protected right. Where I live the unions here are not very strong and picketing is a very dangerous thing.

As for a women's body and being gay -- well now it seems to be everybody's else's business but their own.

I can also remember a time when you could not search a person or their vehicle without just cause directed at that particular person. Boy are those days gone. Now you may be driving along minding your own business only to come upon a road block randomly set up for the sole purpose of stopping every single vehicle and searching it with or without your permission.
This use to be a huge invasion of your rights. So what went wrong.

And let us not criticize a high official or heaven forbid the president to harshly, You may be tagged by the FBI as a person to be watched. You're phone could be tapped right now. Someone could be listening to every dirty little thing that you ever told your best friend.
How good does that feel?

Excuse me -- but where are my rights? When did somebody tear up that document that says I have rights and flush it down the toilet???

This is the USA is it not, so when was it , who was it, that decided they should interfere with free enterprise and tell restaurants what they should and should not serve and me what I should and should not eat.
My point is -- little by little our rights are being taken away. Our boundaries are becoming smaller and smaller, our restrictions are becoming wider and wider. What's next?

I'm beginning to wonder how much longer before we can no longer call ourselves a democracy.
Perhaps I shouldn't complain, we do, after all, have more freedom then most. Should we consider ourselves lucky and leave it at that or do we have the right to long for the unrestricted kind of freedom that our parents and their parents fought for. And if we continue to allow these changes , what kind of freedom will be left for our children??

How many more amendments to the constitution will we allow, before we have no constitution at all?

I for one feel that we are on the borderline of losing it all. Where are my rights if I am minding my own business happily on my way somewhere ,and get stopped and searched when I am not under suspicion for anything and please don't bother telling me that this has helped to catch a lot of bad guys either, I'm sure it has, but they will catch those bad guys anyway without invading my privacy or interrupting my day. I highly resent it. It is unnecessary and just one more of what used to be my rights , taken away from me.

So where have we gone wrong?

I think one problem might be that to many people that could make a difference don't bother to vote. I have a friend that I sometimes go to lunch with and her and her husband both have never voted in their life . Not even in local things in this little town such as for mayor or sheriff. Never ever even registered.
This is a sore point between us because she always complains about our local officials and we have argued many times about the fact that if she would vote maybe that person wouldn't be in office, but it's like butting my head against a brick wall.
One day we were sitting in this little booth and this man in the next booth started talking to us and complaining about some local official and I asked who he had voted for and he replied nobody, I didn't vote. My friends face turned red when she saw the look in my eyes, she knew what he was in for as I opened my big mouth and politely told him that if he didn't vote then he had not right to complain about it..
I am not very politically smart I do try to keep informed and vote. I know what I want and usually who I want and make it a point to do my part to make it happen by voting.

I am so tired of hearing people that don't vote complain the most and use the excuse that their one vote doesn't matter anyway.

Well you're right , your vote doesn't count-- why--because you don't use it!!

14 Comments:

Blogger Anisa said...

i'm with you...if you didn't vote, you have no right to complain.

that being said, i voted and i definitely exercise my voice to complain about the current administration! :)

8:25 AM  
Blogger mojoala said...

The people that think their vote will not make a difference so they don't vote are exactly the ones that do make the difference.

But when you stand back and see how the right is taking away just about every freedom, you have a tendency to give up and not give a $hit.

The Republicans and the Religious right are slowly moving us to Russia like state....you speak out once....no warning....straight to jail....

12:03 PM  
Blogger David Stehle said...

I could probably write a short novel on all my thoughts about your post here, but I'll try to keep it brief. You and I agree on alot of things EXSENO, but I know politics aren't usually one of them and that's ok because I still love ya. ;)

However I do agree with what you said "if you don't get off your ass and vote, then shut your trap if you feel the urge to complain at who's in office or how things are run". I for one think it's GREAT that some people are too damn lazy to pay a visit to the polls during election time. The way I see it, if they are too lazy to punch some holes in a ballot card, then my money says they are too lazy to properly inform themselves about ALL the candidates to begin with. So who needs their vote? It would be an ignorant voice/vote even if they would cast it. They are the type of people who would just go along with who their neighbor voted for and think they made the correct decision for them as well - morons.

It's like when MTV with P Diddy and all the Hollywood celebs ran around with the "Vote or Die" shirts on and tried to get the youth to vote. Everyone knows there is hardly a sole in CA, especially Hollywood that isn't a democrat. No, let me rephrase - major tree huggers. There is nothing wrong with having an opinion about politics and being democrat or republican or whatever you label yourself. The problem I see is when there are people trying to encourage others to vote (especially young people who are not that into political topics to begin with) and instead of pounding into their head the importance of learning about ALL the candidates and how their vote counts and makes a difference...they rather pound in a one sided view.

MTV held some little debate awhile back when the Presidential election was taking place. They claimed their goal was to inform the youth about the canadates. It was anything but that. All MTV did was make it a pro Kerry campaign. That isn't teaching people about ALL the canadates. You can't be biased when trying to get someone to learn something and go out and make a difference in the world. That is kind of like propaganda which is what all the Hollywood celebs like to run around saying with their anti-war signs. So in that sense I am glad that they didn't get the voter turn out they were hoping for because that tells me if they did, then alot of people would of run out to vote without being fully educated on ALL candidates and that just makes for waste of a vote. It would be an ignorant voice/vote casting.

If you are going to vote, do your homework first. Learn about ALL the candidates and then form an opinion and cast your vote. Otherwise, sit at home on your duff and stay misinformed. Whatever you do, don't bitch at who is in office if you didn't make the effort to make a difference when you were given the opportunity to do so.

1:34 PM  
Blogger EXSENO said...

Interesting, Diamondkt, I didn't realize that our political views were that different but that's O.K. I forgive you. hahahaha,

I do remember the MTV thing and you a absolutely right, you hit the nail on the head on that one. As for myself I have always registered as a democrat. but that doesn't necessarily mean that I always vote that way.
I always find out as much as I can about each candidate and make my decision on who I think will be the best president, and if that means voting for the other party , well I've been known to do that a time or two. However in the Bush / Kerry election I must say honestly I hated them both, so it was quite a delema for me it was the first time that I ever wished at least one of them would drop out of the race, so that someone/anyone else could step in. But sadly neither dropped out and I was left with the decision of having to try to choose what I hoped would be the lesser of the two evils.

9:26 PM  
Blogger David Stehle said...

I agree with you on that. Neither Bush or Kerry were really pulling voters one way or the other. They were both extreme to their own party - very right winged or very liberal. I tend to fall a little more in between so there would be things Bush would say that I liked and things he would say I didn't like and same goes for Kerry. I think that is one reason so many people had a bad taste in their mouth thru the entire election. There aren't too many Americans that fit that far on either party side, we all tend to drop in the middle somewhat.

Like you, I too have voted for the opposite party in which I'm registered. I really don't think either party label fits me so I tend to vote more for what man/woman I think will do best in whatever positions they are running for. I hope everyone does that and doesn't always just vote straight down the line because we all know politicians are crooked and there is plenty of crooked ones on BOTH sides of the table.

5:38 AM  
Blogger David Stehle said...

By the way EXSENO, sorry I didn't run for Pres because I KNEW YOU WOULD VOTE FOR ME, right? ;)

Of course, I was also running for the Pope position around that same time if you recall and it was a close race but that new dude squeezed me out in the final days. They said it was something about the cone hat looking better on him - whatever.

What is funny though is I saw on someone's blog that "what party are you" test that you take and it tells you if you should be democrat, republican, independent, ect. Anyways, I took it and I can't remember the results exactly but my closest matches to my beliefs where...now get this...the Pope and Donald Trump! lol

How do they come up with this stuff? Maybe I am meant to be a billionaire and rule the world at the same time. Tough life, but I'll live it since it's my destiny according to my Internet quiz. ;)

5:45 AM  
Blogger EXSENO said...

Well then politically speaking we both fit the same profile, I wish there was no such thing as a party just people running for office. A third party doesn't do any good because it just splits the votes a third way (if you get what I mean) and doesn't accomplish anything.

As for running for president, of course I would vote for you especially if you are a billionaire, so if you do become a billionaire don't foreget your old lady friend, I plan to live to at least 99yrs. lol Why not my grandmother did.

6:09 AM  
Blogger David Stehle said...

Holy crap, she lived to 99? That's awesome! My Grandma made it to 90 and I thought that was good. Yeah, you will be getting a good cut of my billionaire estate and I'll even introduce you to my trophy wife! Ahh, just like the real Donald does it. :P

I heard his wife is expecting! I wonder how long he will stay with her now. She has to know she won't last long, but my god is she not the most beautiful women you have ever seen? I mean I would even pass over J Lo for her! Yeah, no joke. Her accent and eyes and just everything - breath taking indeed!

10:45 AM  
Blogger EXSENO said...

Yes, she really is beautiful. They were both on Martha Stewarts new cooking show the other day and she made her and Donald cook it was really funny. He's a great sport. He and Martha are my idols.

Speaking of accents I've always been a sucker for a person with an accent. Just something adorable about it.

11:30 AM  
Blogger David Stehle said...

Yeah, me too. I think alot of Americans have a thing for foriegn accents. A girl with an accent like hers is just sooooo sexy! I guess it just ups that exotic look that I like - the icing on the cake.

I haven't really seen that Martha Apprentice show yet. Can Trump's wife cook? If so, that makes her even that much better. Old Donald is pretty funny. I love him and his 2 sidekicks in the boardroom firing people. They are so blunt and straight to the point, I love how he does business. There hasn't been a decision he has made on there that I don't agree with. It's no wonder the guy is so damn successful - he's brilliant.

Oops, this REALLY got off your post topic. Sorry. :P

12:31 PM  
Blogger EXSENO said...

Yes, he really is!!and yes, she can cook, but she wears rubber gloves to protect her manicure. haha
Marthas show is pretty much like Donalds but geared towards the food industry.

But the show I saw was the Trumps on is her new day time show.

12:55 PM  
Blogger David Stehle said...

I would cover her in latex too with a body like that - cute hands, cute everything. You want to protect something that lovely. Then again, I guess The Donald doesn't do that or she wouldn't be pregnant now. ;)

3:26 PM  
Blogger Neel Arurkar said...

The whole world holds the American democratic system in high esteem. This is indeed a cause to worry :-(

12:03 AM  
Blogger chenlina said...

chenlina20150710
abercrombie
ed hardy outlet
coach factorty outlet
longchamp pas cher
fitflops clearance
chanel uk
ncaa jerseys
retro 11
mont blanc pens
jordan 4 toro
louis vuitton
louis vuitton handbags
polo outlet
knockoff watches
gucci bags
longchamp soldes
juicy couture outlet
coach outlet online
cheap ran bans
cheap jerseys
coach factory outlet
michael kors outlet
kate spade handbags
michael kors outlet online
imitation watches
toms wedges
coach factorty outlet
michael kors
abercrombie and fitch
gucci bags
coach outlet
pandora jewelry
hollister clothing
ray ban sunglasses
tory burch flats
cheap chi straighteners
hollister jeans
new lebron james shoes
louis vuitton outlet
jordan retro 13

2:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker