Friday, November 04, 2005

HELLOOO - I AM NOT AN EMT

Well I must say yesterday was interesing. My daughter is an EMT. Lately she has been working two jobs at two different stations so she has little time for anything else. Yesterday, she was at least working at the one close to home. She had left her car with me in case I wanted to
use it instead of my old truck. She wasn't suppose to get off until 8pm but since there was nothing of any great urgency they let her off early, so just a little before 3pm, she called and said Mom come and get me. I picked her up and the plan was pick up her son from school, stop at the store, home for rest.
Traffic was really heavy. Just as we have the store in view my daughter says "Oh shit", I looked up to see there had been an accident. No ambulance or police were in sight which told us it had just happened. So she pulls up in the parking lot parallel to the wrecked vehicles and we see a women, sitting upright with the door opened. She appeared to be awake . My daughter, still in uniform jumps out of the car and runs over to see if everyone was alright. I am on the passenger side of the womans vehicle in my daughters car, but I can see my daughter on the other side rip out her phone so I knew the women was hurt and she was calling the ambulance. After a couple of seconds of assessing the women I see her moving her hand and I thought she was motioning for me to come, but I thought nope, then I see her eyes bug out of her head like, if you don't move it I'm going to kill you and I give her one of those 'are you talking to me' looks as I jump out of the car tell my grandson stay with the car and I get over there fast.

Buy the way the scene of the accident looked like this, there was a big tanker truck stopped in the outside lane with a white pickup with a towbar on the front turned sideways very close to the tanker and the womans white van on the inside lane. They were all just really close together.The tanker truck wasn't in the wreck but the driver felt like he had caused it and stayed where he was until the police came. So anyway as I get to the other side of the ladys van I noticed how badly it was bashed in (I thougt it was going to be a little fender bender), then I look up--what do I see-- Oh lord, my-bother-in-law. Oh shit, I whisper, did you do this? uhha, my first wreck too. I turned to my daughter and she said I need for you to climb in the back seat and hold her head still so that she won't move her neck . O.K., but none of the other doors would open. The woman is elderly, awake, calm and lucid, you couldn't have asked for a better patient. As I'm pulling on another door to see if I can get one open the ambulance drives up and here comes the police so that lets me off the hook at this point I know the best thing I can do for them is to get out of the way and let them do their job.
So that's exactly what I did. I went back to keep my grandson company. The medic finds a way into the van, I didn't see him get in but when I turned around his big self was trying to climb around in the van to help the woman and get her out. The three of them finally get her out onto a stretcher and strap her head down so that she can't move her neck untel they can assess her neck at the hospital.
Boy when they did that, I could see my bother-in-law just about to come unglued. It scared him to death. The ambulance took off and my daughter was free to go, but we decided to stay with my brother-in-law until he was free to go. He appeared calm but he wasn't. He just kept saying Oh please let her be alright. Over an over. We took a look at his truck and he said he didn't care about his truck and he didn't care who was right or wrong he just wanted her to be O.K. and he'd buy her a new van. We kept telling him she would be just fine. My daughter explained that the worst thing that it looked like she had was a bump on the head , but that anytime someone is thrust foreword and has a bump on the head it is just a precaution to stabilize the head. It didn't seem to help him a bit. Seeing her that way upset him, so we decided to stay with him. It's a good thing that we didn't leave him beacuse when they asked him for his registration and insurance papers, he went and grabbed everything that was in his glove box and said he could'nt read without his glasses and he didn't have them with him so I had to fill out the accident report for him. Whoopy an accident report, hmm. Finally his son showed up and took over for us and we said our good-byes.

The two people on the ambulance service are the owners, I am proud to say the three of them did a great job and worked well together. After all, the other two are also like my own children the woman grew up with my daughter. I've known her since she was about 6.

The police were great we also all know each other. It's a pretty small towm. One of the police got in the same trap that my daughter did he was off duty but still in uniform and he just happened upon it all. I told them both that's what they get for running around town in uniform, so he began to rank off his tie as he said not me I'm getting out of it right now. I said do you need a drum roll, just how much are you going to take off. He grinned. Hahaha

16 Comments:

Blogger Mara said...

Wow.. that's pretty intense.. I think you should have called this post..
EXSENO-911

::smooches::
Mara

6:45 PM  
Blogger EXSENO said...

That's a good one Mara, I wish I would have thought of it.

9:00 PM  
Blogger Neel Arurkar said...

Your daughter has done a gr8 job...beyond the call of duty i would say. If everyone went out of their way and did a bit for the society, the world would be a better place to live.

2:24 AM  
Blogger Becky said...

Wow, you must be so proud of your daughter! Saving Lives! :-D She seems to have a real good heart too, stopping off duty to help!

6:40 AM  
Blogger mojoala said...

I agree with neel arukar!

becky, I don't know about the State of Arkansas, but other states have Good Samaritan laws. Exseno's daughter would be bound by most states laws to stop and render service. It's a high class felon to not stop and render help if you have the ability.

As for the off duty policeman, by federal law he is never really off duty, he would have gotten into some serious chit if he had not stopped and was found out later.

Good day all....

6:50 AM  
Blogger Becky said...

Honestly, I don't know what to think of that, it being a law to help! I dunno.... It's good and bad, are we slaves or do we still have free will?!

8:00 AM  
Blogger EXSENO said...

Mojo's, right Becky, even if she didn't have her uniform one, she is bound by law to stop and help.

1:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that is right. I have to stop IF i see it and my instuctor taught me how to drive down the road with tunnel vision....lol Just so happened that the wreck was in the view of my tunnel and the place that I was turning into. but regaurdless had it not been in the tunnel and I had not been in uniform I would have stopped I love my job and I love what I do would tade it for anything else execpt for maybe a job with regular hours and benefits....

1:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heeeyyy I just thought of something mojo are you trying to say that with out the good samaritain act I don't have a good heart?????? :P stinker.

1:39 PM  
Blogger David Stehle said...

Good tale and I see things are always eventful in EXSENO land. You never cease to surprise me with some of your comments. I could NEVER see my Mom encouraging a cop to strip like you just did, ha-ha. I'm sure you gave him a real ego trip. It would of worked on me - the ego trip and the stripping that is!

Never encourage bad behavior on boys that have a badboy side or you may just get more than you bargained for. :P

2:30 PM  
Blogger EXSENO said...

Im' just me, your personality doesn't change with age if it does shame on you. Besides when your older people just think you're getting sinile so you can get away with anything, it's great. hehehe

6:42 AM  
Blogger David Stehle said...

Lol, my Mom tries to blame weird things she says or does on "senile" too, but the thing is, she isn't old enough yet to use that escape card.

I guess your personality probably does stay pretty much the same as you age. However, I was the shyest kid ever and it wasn't until around 13 or so that I came out of my shell. So growing up your personality will change, but I guess once you are done growing than you are stuck with whatever personality God gave you.

You just better be careful daring people to do things if you don't want them to actually do it. I know with me, if my friends bet me to run butt naked down the street, I just may do it. :P You know I don't like to lose so a bet I will win and prove them wrong.

12:22 PM  
Blogger EXSENO said...

I guess I misrepresented that, a part of a persons personality can change when they become an adult. I've always been a person that kids around and smiles a lot and that remains. But with age and lifes hard knocks a part of me has changed. I think for the better.

3:59 PM  
Blogger EXSENO said...

I agree with that.

8:13 PM  
Blogger Tor said...

What I'd like to know is how the scene seemed to you, exseno, when it was happening. I know when I've been a witness to or involved in an accident, it really didn't seem real when it was happening. And is it any different for your daughter, theblondebrunette? Or do these things start to get routine after a while?

Peace,

Tor

5:01 PM  
Blogger EXSENO said...

Hi Tor,
We didn't see the accident happy we came upon it just after it happened. For myself I don't get rattled easily, My biggest surprise that one of my brother-in-laws was in the accident.

11:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker