Monday, May 29, 2006

MEMORIAL DAY

Over the years, people in the 'US' seem to have forgotten the meaning of 'Memorial Day'. When Memorial Day rolled around it seems that the only thing most people think of, is that it's a day off of work.
A holiday, lets go to the lake, have a BBQ, get some friends together.

But now, knowing that our young men are away endangering their lives for a cause called freedom, has kind of been like a punch in the stomach.

It has brought back the true meaning of the reason for this holiday, this Memorial Day, this remembrance day.

I am guilty of forgetting it's importance, but somehow suddenly knowing that I have a friend stationed in Iraq, a friend who has a great heart, a friend who is in the medical profession and is not there to take lives but to save them and knowing that he may or may not see his two small children again.
Knowing that, I get chills and a tears in my eyes every time I think about him. It has brought me back to the reality of what Memorial Day is all about.

A day of remembrance for every young man everywhere who has ever fought and died in any war in the service for 'our country'. From the Civil war,to today.

But is this war for our country?

Somehow, today, it just doesn't matter to me anymore. The only thing that matters is that in the past and today our men have fought and died. And as we stay at home and grill in our back yard we need to remember that somewhere some young man is being sent home, asleep forever with arms folded and a flag for a blanket. It is a chilling image.

This year I remembered.

I remembered and I cried, and I prayed for and the men that have given their lives in the past , present and yes, for those that I feel will not come home in the future.

I do not believe I will ever forget again -- the true meaning of 'Memorial Day' .

7 Comments:

Blogger Becky said...

Beautifully written!

4:51 PM  
Blogger David Stehle said...

I'm going to show my ignorant youth for a moment. So brace yourself.

I do know the true meaning of Memorial Day and I could go on to say some rather humble, grateful or even patriotic things...but I'm going to be honest.

To me Memorial Day is more about a day off of work, getting a tan, drinking, a BBQ, a ride on a waverunner, that type of thing.
However, I'm glad you were adult enough for both of us EXSENO. That way I can enjoy my 20something youth. :P

9:40 PM  
Blogger Id it is said...

"that somewhere some young man is being sent home, asleep forever with arms folded and a flag for a blanket". That is a bone chilling thought!
You are right about how distant we are from the true meaning of a "Memorial Day'. However, wouldn't you agree that the armed forces do not command the same respect as they did in the past and its all thanks to the Iraq war that we are embroiled in; one that we cannot justify even the tiniest bit. War has become a dirty word, and sadly enough those that partake in it cannot come out of it clean, even though innocent they may be.

1:21 PM  
Blogger Mr. Khurram said...

It's the most Greatest thing to die for a Purpose, A purpose that can help many of others in True way.

Talibans(sons of Bi****) 'n' Alqaeda(Mother F****) also believe that they die for a noble cause. Some American Congressmen also call the deaths of American Soldiers, a noble cause. *Sigh*

God bless all....

3:03 PM  
Blogger EXSENO said...

Id it is,
Yes I do agree with that,
but this, 'We cannot justify',this really bothers me.
We went there under false pretences to begin with. I think Bush should have been impeached early on. For all of the things that he has done, (to please his own ego and no other reason).
He reminds me of a spoiled child, who doesn't give and darn about anyone or anything as long as he gets his way.
I can hear him now, Climb up there and get my ball Daddy. I don't care if you fall off and die as long as you knock my ball off of there on the way down.

4:23 PM  
Blogger fairygirl701 said...

thank you to all our service men and women...they do so much for us and receive so little in return. Bless you all.

6:48 PM  
Blogger Mara said...

((hugs))

I know, it's so hard.
I went to the cemetery and prayed for all my relatives lost both young and old as well as to the memorial for all of our servicemen.

::smooches::
Mara

10:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker