Monday, May 08, 2006

MORE ON IRAQ

Sometimes the news has to get spread by word of mouth. The story is not always told by the media especially when there is a war.

I have a friend who is in Iraq. He's not been there very long but what he is in and what he has been witness to is devastating. He is in one of the worse parts of that country where fighting and bombings are constant and the shooting seems to never stop.

He hasn't seen any of the things that he has witnessed being broadcast by the media, they just don't seem to be reporting what is really going on there.

He is in the service over there. I would love to be able to tell you which service he is in and his rank, but I don't dare. It seems that some of the service men have been reprimanded for saying things that they (the government) doesn't want said. If they have a blog they lose it. If they don't have a blog, well, I don't know what they do to reprimand them for speaking their mind.
It is my understanding that they are briefed before deployment and the soldiers are not at liberty to say what ever they might want to say. The wrong words can get you in prison or even, well, let me just say what ever punishment they deem necessary.

Although I know that my friend is smart enough to verbally not make any mistake that would get him into trouble, I think it is best for me to speak only in general here.

The very men that are fighting and dyeing do not have the right to speak their own minds. I can understand the reason for some of it ( security purposes), but since I don't know what those boundaries are it's better that I play it safe.

I can't tell you whose words these are. I can't even tell how I got this information for fear that it would cause a problem for someone, but this episode happened over there recently and so much more since I wrote this post.

'a suicide bomber walks into an elementary school and detonates his explosives, injuring 16 children. There was not one mention of this on the news. Why? Why is the truth not being told? Maybe because the truth hurts. Or maybe because the truth doesn't support the media's agenda. '

Frankly I'm not even sure that I should say this much, but I'm hoping that if I do, it will help to get the word out, that perhaps progress is not as great as our propaganda makes it sound.

The fighting and bombings are still constant and I'm beginning to wonder why we are still there.

I saw an interview with Tim Russert and Ted Kennedy last week. I had planned to write about it, but let me just give you Ted Kennedys' views on the subject of Iraq. In so many words he said, If it hasn't been fixed by now, we can't fix it and we should get out. There are many countries with terrorists and similar problems and we can not protect them all.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I agree with that. We did our part in trying to help and I think it's time that their own government and people took over.
We helped them to get rid of Saddam and we helped them to get the right to vote and they are grateful and proud of that, but I think if we stay there to long then we are accomplishing nothing but becoming their crutch. I also think it's wrong of us to assume that because we have helped them they must do everything our way to a tee. It can not be that way their beliefs are different. We can't change their religious beliefs or their culture, that's an impossibility and sometimes it looks like that is what Bush wants to.

At whose cost? And for how long?

It's time for us to say the ball is in your court, now take it and run with it.

After all just how long should we stay there? How long is not enough? How long is to long??

2 Comments:

Blogger Mr. Khurram said...

The Truth is much deeper, can't come out this easy. I don't know about how long stayin' there, but I do know that it 'll take some more time to reach the Truth. *Smiles*

God bless you.....

4:02 PM  
Blogger fairygirl701 said...

so sad...my dear friend just learned he will be redeployed in January. It is a shame b/c he has small children.

4:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker