Friday, May 13, 2005

ARE YOU SUPERSTITIOUS ???

WHY IS FRIDAY THE 13th CONSIDERED SUCH AN UNLUCKY DAY

Exploring the history behind the day that made Jason and hockey masks infamous.

It seems, the basis for this superstition stems from the events that took place on Friday, October 13, 1307. On that day, the Pope of the Roman Catholic church, in combination with the King of France, sentenced the "the Knights Templar" to death and ordered the torture and crucifixion of their leader.

Urban legend experts agree that Western culture has considered Friday the 13th particularly unlucky for hundreds of years. The sixth day of the week has often been considered unlucky, as has the number 13. The combination, which occurs one to three times a year, leads to the inevitable superstition.

Some say the number 13 was purposely vilified by the priests of patriarchal religions because it represented femininity. Thirteen corresponded to the number of lunar (menstrual) cycles in a year, and the number was revered in prehistoric goddess-worshipping cultures.

Hindus believed that it was unlucky for 13 people to gather in one place. This conviction was shared by the ancient Scandinavians.

Many biblical events of negative import supposedly occurred on a Friday, including the ejection of Adam and Eve from the Garden of Eden, the start of the Great Flood, and the crucifixion of Jesus.

Like many legends and superstitions, the origin of Friday the 13th will always be subject to speculation.
In the end, we take all the theories with a grain of salt (thrown over our left shoulder, of course).
So Are You ?? Supersitious ?? WHAT ARE YOU SUPERSTIOUS ABOUT ??
As for myself I am only a little superstious, here are mine:
1. I won't walk under a ladder
2. I have the greatest urge to stop my truck, turn around and go around the block when a black cat crosses the street in front of me.
3. If I drop a mirror and it breaks, I want to cry thinking about the 7 years of bad luck I will have ( darn I need a break).
Now friday the 13th , that's another story . That's my lucky day !
I was born on August 13th and I turned "13" on friday the 13th.
Hmm- - Does that make me a witch or something???
*My Thanks to Yahoo , I stole parts of their article for this post.

6 Comments:

Blogger EXSENO said...

I like black cats just fine as long as they are not crossing the street in front of me while I'm driving. I saw your cats they're very pretty.

I definetly believe in ghosts. I'll have to tell you why sometime.

About the ship--what is it about whistling???

5:10 PM  
Blogger EXSENO said...

Oh I'm glad you explalined. I'm sorry I didn't see your cat. That was a mistake.

7:09 PM  
Blogger EXSENO said...

Callie, Sorry that wasn't me, I don't have an ex-hubby that I need advise for. I've never spoken of my hubby on the net. He past away a long time ago.

You better remember who that was Callie, I hope they're not still waiting for your help. Kidding !lol

5:34 AM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

ugg boots, oakley sunglasses, replica watches, ugg boots, nike air max, cheap oakley sunglasses, nike free, michael kors outlet, polo ralph lauren outlet, longchamp outlet, jordan shoes, longchamp, ray ban sunglasses, michael kors outlet, prada handbags, ugg boots, oakley sunglasses, chanel handbags, uggs on sale, oakley sunglasses, polo ralph lauren outlet, christian louboutin outlet, ray ban sunglasses, burberry outlet online, michael kors outlet, louboutin outlet, ugg boots, louboutin shoes, michael kors outlet, louis vuitton, nike air max, ray ban sunglasses, prada outlet, louis vuitton, louboutin, oakley sunglasses, tiffany jewelry, louis vuitton outlet, burberry, kate spade outlet, louis vuitton outlet, nike outlet, tory burch outlet

7:03 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

michael kors, oakley pas cher, kate spade handbags, ralph lauren uk, ralph lauren pas cher, north face, michael kors, michael kors, burberry, hogan, hollister pas cher, nike roshe, sac guess, ray ban pas cher, ray ban uk, coach outlet, true religion outlet, air force, coach purses, nike roshe run, lululemon, coach factory outlet, coach outlet, timberland, true religion jeans, vanessa bruno, nike blazer, nike free, nike air max, hollister, new balance pas cher, vans pas cher, nike free run uk, nike air max, lacoste pas cher, louboutin pas cher, air jordan pas cher, michael kors, sac longchamp, north face, true religion jeans, abercrombie and fitch, tn pas cher, air max, longchamp pas cher, true religion jeans, converse pas cher, mulberry, hermes, nike air max

7:04 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

pandora charms, ugg,ugg australia,ugg italia, moncler, ugg pas cher, moncler outlet, vans, thomas sabo, canada goose, barbour, bottes ugg, louis vuitton, moncler, karen millen, hollister, marc jacobs, wedding dresses, canada goose outlet, moncler, pandora charms, ray ban, louis vuitton, montre pas cher, canada goose, supra shoes, louis vuitton, barbour jackets, ugg boots uk, toms shoes, moncler, converse outlet, moncler, juicy couture outlet, pandora jewelry, sac louis vuitton pas cher, doudoune canada goose, converse, replica watches, nike air max, lancel, canada goose, coach outlet, pandora jewelry, juicy couture outlet, moncler, doke gabbana outlet, ugg,uggs,uggs canada, canada goose outlet, links of london, canada goose, gucci, moncler

7:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker