Sunday, May 06, 2007

COMPUTERS AND THE INTERNET

I was in my kitchen and my TV was on. I heard something that caught my attention in a big way. The narrator said something about parents using computers to keep their small children occupied (babysit), so they could do other things around the house.

What?

Then I heard the age group, four, five and six year old children and I dropped everything to see this show.
There they were showing segment after segment of different family homes, each with a tiny little person sitting at a computer, with short little legs dangling from a big chair clicking away playing computer games.
And they know how to get on the computer find their game and do their own thing. Then the narrator said that there is going to be a new 'My Space' just for four to six year old children, of course he mentioned that it would have to be closely monitored.
Ya right.
The more I watched this show the more upset I became. Maybe I'm just an old dinosaur in a fast pace world, but I found the whole idea disturbing and alarming, not at all healthy and dangerous.

What happened to just playing with a toy when mommy is vacuuming the floor?
What happened to talking to the child or playing a word game with the child while you're doing the dishes? Your mouth doesn't effect your dish washing does it?

And most alarming of all, how long before these internet predators find a way into this new 'My Space' site that they a thinking of making for these tiny little people.
What then Mommy?

When my grandson was a preschooler, I was always worried about him getting to close to me when I was cooking, so I bought two sets of the alphabet, magnetized and I let him put one of those sets on the refrigerator. Then I showed him some one and two letter words and when I would cook I would ask him to pick out the words that I would ask for and we progressed from there. It wasn't long before we needed the second set of the alphabet.

He loved it. For him it was a game, for me it was a blessing. We talked we laughed a we were both benefiting from it. I got my work in the kitchen done and he learned to identify words long before he started school. What more can I say.

Well I can think of one more thing to say, he is now fifteen and I sometimes have to ask him how to spell a word or two.

8 Comments:

Blogger AVIANA said...

Hi!

Thanks for stopping by today! How are you? I hope good!

Well this computer thing and kids and parenting won't change I believe. We have become such a technology based society and technology is advancing every second that I don't ever believe playing with Tonka toys will ever come back as a form of recreation. I don't think playing with children and spending quality time like how it use to be done will ever return.

I'm not sure how to change it, maybe have technology slow down in its' progression and adults stop relying on it and its' speed. I don't know.

So you write music huh?! First think, get it copyrighted if you have a record of it anywhere. You do need connections which I have none and that's why I am where I am right now. However, start looking at sites on how to get it copyrighted and get it published possibly by establishing your own publishing company which is pretty easy I heard.

Maybe have local people bands/singers sing your songs. If the public reacts positively you're on your way.

Please take the music away from your heart and into someone's ear. That's the only way to move people and find your soul.

:)

Lisa

4:31 PM  
Blogger EXSENO said...

Lisa,
No way, I write the lyrics, the tune is in my head. The best I can do on the music part is to one or two finger pound out the tune. Pathetic isn't it.

10:18 AM  
Blogger Capt. C said...

I must totally disagree here (please keep in mind this is total sarcasm) - the computer and the internet should raise my children. In fact, I think it should be the government's responsibility to raise them. I mean, afterall, am I suppose to do EVERYTHING???!!!

If it wasn't for computer games, TV and internet, then who could be blame for the obesity of kids. This will be the first generation that won't out live their parents. Now, that is making a statement!!

Seriously, I totally agree with you. I see it all the time. I have put 10 years old to sleep that weighted over 225 pounds. But, they could play every video game known to man. Sad, Sad, Sad!!

Self-responsibility - where did it go?

1:28 PM  
Blogger Sister Copinherhair said...

I like to have my son help me with my chores. He helps me sort laundry and is learning the difference between "lights" and "darks" at the age of five. Right now, he is playing with a stuffed animal robot and has a whole imaginary segment going on.

Don't get me wrong. Movies help me out on occasion and he sometimes visits Noggin.com but he would rather have imaginary play than anything else. I guess I'm just lucky.

2:39 PM  
Blogger EXSENO said...

Capt. C,
It doesn't seem to be about responsibility anymore, it seems to be about convenience.

3:20 PM  
Blogger EXSENO said...

Damsel Underdressed,
Interacting with your son is the best thing in the world for him, I also found it was a time when a child will really open up and talk.

3:23 PM  
Blogger Is it sync'd yet? said...

Computer, Telly, Rock'n Roll....

It is up to the parent to keep gluttony in check. It is really the only problem here not the above devices. To much of anything is a problem.


Gnat.
.

10:25 AM  
Blogger Becky said...

My little niece was playing on their computer when she was five, I don't see anything wrong with it so long as you have protection on your computer.

10:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker