Monday, November 28, 2005

GUESS WHO CAME TO DINNER

Well one more holiday has come and gone. Thank God it's over. No I'm not being sarcastic, that's what all the cooks think they just don't say it out loud.
Let's face it, for the one in charge of pulling it off it's still a chore, especially if you're the only one doing all of it. Even if you like to cook the holiday pressure is on, there's the menu to plan which of course has to include a turkey on Thanksgiving. The preparation, the cooking blah, blah, blah, you know the senario.
I do have to laugh about the turkey though, when we were shopping my daughter picked a turkey up and it was not much bigger than a chicken and I laughed and said just that, so in her rebellion she picked up another and said O.K. this is the one we are getting. It was huge and I tried to get her to put it back but she wouldn't hear of it.

We are a small family and there is never more here for the holidays then the four of us unless one of them drags someone home with them, and that's extremely rare, so no need for a 24lb. turkey, I mean I can eat but not that much. But the time had arrived for me to do my thing so I cooked up a storm, you know we all do it. The turkey, dressing, all the trimmings and of course let us not forget desserts.

My daughter had to work, what a bummer, especially for her sons sake and I would miss her sneaking up behind me picking at things that were ready before I was ready to put them on the table, but then there would be so much left over that we could just pretend like it was Thanksgiving again tomorrow, and let me not forget to mention that the night before Thanksgiving, my son informed me that he had to leave for a two day job in Alabama. "What?"

So who showed up for dinner -- no one. So are you thinking why did I do it? why didn't I just wait until they both got back home and have a late holiday dinner?
Well I did it upon request. I had one dinner guest that would be there who wanted to celebrate on time just the two of us and I must say I was glad that we did it. We enjoyed each others company and the fun of having this special day together. We talked and laughed and ate, in fact we pigged out. He was the perfect gentleman and when it came to the dessert, he insisted on serving me. We both love pumkin pie so there always has to be one, no matter who else might hate it. So in his appreciation, he cut it, put the whip cream on top and served us both.

Yes my grandson can be very thoughtful. I was glad that we went ahead and did it his way. We both had a great time. When he talks I listen, and he seems to appreciate that a lot. Why do I do it, perhaps because when I was young I had a lot to say, but no one ever listened.

It really ended up being one of the best Thanksgivings for the both of us.
Shamefully full, good conversation, kidding, joking and lots of laugher and hopefully -- creating memories that he will be able to carry with him for the rest of his life.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

at least you still have 1 family member with you... :) and you have all the food for yourself :D

5:50 AM  
Blogger Anisa said...

what a great story...sounds like he is a great kid.

7:29 AM  
Blogger Mara said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11:15 AM  
Blogger Mara said...

Hey Girl!! It sounds like you had a great Thanksgiving. The fiance' and I went over to my parents... my sister is such a snoocher... blah. She lives 10 minutes from Mom and Dad and I live about an hour and a half away. We had to postpone dinner from 1:30 to 4:30 because she couldn't be ready in time and then she called me at 1 and asked if I could cook some of the things she had commited to bringing because she had gotten up late.... DO YOU KNOW WHAT I ENDED UP BRINGING!!!
Apple pie
Pumpkin pie
Monkey Bread
Peanut Butter Cup Pie
Sweet Potatoes
Squash
Green Bean Casserole
and
Dinner rolls

Do you KNOW WHAT SHE BROUGHT????

Salad

That's it.. just Salad

I could have killed her... little hogarbeast.

Loard love her.

::smooches::
Mara

11:19 AM  
Blogger Becky said...

Sounds like a great Thanksgiving to me! ;-) Glad to hear it was so nice.

11:21 AM  
Blogger EXSENO said...

Oh Mara,
She got you good didn't she.

2:41 PM  
Blogger fairygirl701 said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful thanksgiving after all! He is considerate beyond his years and I know he'll always remember you guys special holiday twosome!

4:05 PM  
Blogger mojoala said...

Sometimes that is all that matters.

Your son was in my state?

Which city?

10:22 AM  
Blogger David Stehle said...

Aww EXSENO, my eyes are misty! Ok, I'm kidding, but it was a sweet story. I've said it before and I'll say it again, that boy is well ahead of his years. It sounds like he was brought up right too. I'm sure you can take some credit in that. ;)

24lb turkey? So why wasn't I called in to help polish that bird off? You let me know if you ever run into an overindulgent amount of turkey next time because I will be right there to "save the day". Ha-ha.

12:16 PM  
Blogger EXSENO said...

Mojo,
I don't know but, I thought about you when he said he was going there.


Diamond,

I hope I never see a 24lb. turkey again. In fact the only kind of turkey I like even a little is smoked.

3:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hehehe I bet you won't complain again when I pick up a turkey that is just right and call it a chicken...lol sorry I had to work but atleast this year I will be home for christmas!!!!

9:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker