Monday, September 03, 2007

WOMEN IN HISTORY

A Brave and Noble American Heroine



She was one of the most influential American Indian women in history,
respected by the Cherokee and the American colonists alike.







Known as "Nancy Ward" to early settlers, "White Rose" was
responsible for saving the lives of countless colonists during
the historic years of the Revolutionary War.

She was a woman of great wisdom and foresight, she earned
the respected position of "Ghighua" or "Beloved Woman"
with the Cherokee Tribal Council who sought her guidance
on all important matters.




I came across a small article about White Rose/Nancy Ward by accident, which made me
want to know more. I must say she was a fascinating woman who lead a fascinating life.
She fought wars and made piece. She was an extraordinary human being.


There seems to be much controversy about her date of birth, it varies somewhat from
person to person. So I'm simply posting this headstone, hoping that it is the most
accurate which says, 'Born 1738 - Died 1822. If this is at all anywhere near accurate,
she lived a full and long life and well deserved.






When she died "a light rose from her body, fluttered around the room like a bird, left through an open door and disappeared toward Chota. This was watched by those in attendance who were startled at this apparation".

" This statement made by her great-grandson, John Walker "Jack" Hildebrand (1818-1910) in 1908, is part of the legend of Nancy Ward, a full-blood Native American who rose to prominence in the tribe during war with the Creeks and whose assistance to settlers in Tennessee made her a popular figure.



Credit for information of this post from, 'The Hamilton Collection', makers of
collectable plates. (Who would have thought?)

8 Comments:

Blogger AVIANA said...

Thanks for stopping by!

why is there a debate about what date she died? it's what she did in her life that is key. her time of death is insignificant in my eyes...oh well....

fyi, if you continue reading my posts...you will see the review of my performance....also as you read you will see that regarding my boobs...it was my shirt that was screwed up.... :)

have a nice day and thanks for stopping by! :)

7:57 AM  
Blogger Becky said...

All from a collectible plate huh? Ya never know.

3:04 PM  
Blogger Yoda said...

Good post! Made me realize how little I know of Native american history. I need to be seriously wikipedia-ing now!

8:32 PM  
Blogger Sam!! said...

Thats so impressive and knowledgeable, thanks for sharing.

Hope you're doing well there.

Take care

11:18 PM  
Blogger AVIANA said...

stopping by to say hi!

10:02 AM  
Blogger Bla said...

"Woman is the nigger of the world."

John Lennon

7:40 AM  
Blogger EXSENO said...

Bla,
Shame on you.
John Lennon?
Hard to believe John Lennon said that. Prove it.

3:59 AM  
Blogger Stasha said...

Nanye is my &th Grandmother. My family emigrated to California two generations ago from Oklahoma. I do not know my relatives, but am a geanealogist...so you can IMAGINE tha fun I've had researching Nancy! I am very proud :)

6:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker