Wednesday, October 10, 2007

HABIT OR ADDICTION

What do you think? Is smoking a habit or and addiction?
Quite frankly I thought it was simply a habit, but now I am beginning to think that it's an addiction.

I'm sorry to say that I'm a smoker and what's more, I'm even more ashamed to say how much I smoke. Let's just say, excessively. Let me rephrase that, I light them excessively. I think about half of them smoke their selves by sitting in the ash tray while I'm doing something else, of course, like so many other smokers, when I then reach for my smoke I find it has burned up so I have to light another.

My daughter smokes too. Well of course why not, her father smoked, her mother smokes, I guess her line of reasoning was, so why not me.

My grandson hates it. He lives in a house with two smokers and he absolutely hates it. He doesn't seem to bother his mother about it. She doesn't want to hear it.
But he used to always tell me that he wished I would quit. I never promised him that I would.
He and I have this little thing, I never promise him something unless I am absolutely sure that I can keep that promise. He used to lay this quilt trip on me and say who is going to take care of me if you're not here. Over the years he finally gave up asking.

Why do I smoke? I'm not sure why I even started but it became my crutch when I was stressed. My pass time when I relaxed, my dessert after meals and I found pleasure in it.
But most importantly why didn't I take the plunge and quit? For a long time I simply didn't want to. Now I'm not so sure that's the only reason. In the back of my mind I always had that image of me after I quit.
I'm deathly afraid of the weight gain. That dreaded twenty pounds or so, I find it frightening. What if I can lose it?

Last month I looked my grandson in the eyes and said. "I'm going to try to quit smoking, but understand this, it's not a promise. I'm only promising that I'm going to try and I'm going to keep trying. Maybe I can at least cut back."
But deep within the hope was there that I could quit, I just didn't want to disappoint him or myself if I didn't.

I wrote down every pack of cigarettes that I bought but didn't keep track of them until the end of the month. I thought that I was doing great. The first week I smoked very little and I was so proud of myself, week two I could tell I was reaching for that smoke far to often, o.k. I thought I'll make up for it next week.
At the end of the month when all was totaled, to my profound disappointment I found that I had only smoked three packs less then my approximate normal. What a bummer!

So this month it continues. This month is even harder. I want more instead of less. My craving for them is running rapid.
We'll see what happens at the end of this month. At the end of this month will I be proud or ashamed.

I always thought smoking was just a habit, something that I could put down anytime that I wanted to. I smoked because I enjoyed it, but quiting would never be a problem. I'm not an addict, it's just a habit.

Now I'm not so sure? So I pose this question to you again, is smoking a habit or an addiction?

22 Comments:

Blogger How do we know said...

Its an addiction. A proven one. I always remember what my boss told me once - "you can't "cut back" on cigarretes. One day i just had to stop smoking. Just stop. Thats the only thing that works."
See if u want to try that out.

9:43 AM  
Blogger EXSENO said...

How do we know,
I believe that you're right. I've thought about that too. I think the only way that I am goiong to be able to do it, it to not pick up the first one of the day.

9:47 AM  
Blogger Id it is said...

It starts as a habit, but rapidly becomes an addiction; one that is so hard to drop as we all know!
Exseno, you are brave and honest about this addiction, and I'm pretty sure you'll accomplish your goal.

Fret and fume, but keep at it!

4:38 PM  
Blogger Sam!! said...

I guess people start it with different reasons some for fun, some to get rid of their tensions for a time being, etc... then it turns to be one's habit and lastly addiction..

Hope you're well dear friend.

Take care

5:58 PM  
Blogger EXSENO said...

Id it is,
I have to keep trying, I did not say 'I promise' to my grandson, but I said it to my self. Thank you for your encouragement, it helped a lot.

6:33 AM  
Blogger Becky said...

Definitely both! It's an addiction and a habit, an oral fixation. I quit smoking a year and a half ago using blow pops as a substitute and I gained ten pounds!

7:56 AM  
Blogger Becky said...

p.s. But it was worth it.

7:56 AM  
Blogger Refreshment in Refuge said...

If you are determined not to be a slave to cigarettes anymore, if you really don't want that nasty taste in your mouth anymore or that stinky smell on your clothes anymore and decide, I'm not going to smoke anymore, and mean it...

Then you can quit.

It is as Becky said, it is an oral habit, but MORE and ABOVE all it is an addiction that absolutely GOES AWAY after about a week!

Drink lots of water and decide that you can smoke if you want to after two weeks. Decide that you can have all you want after two week IF you really want to. You can stand anything for two weeks, right? Cold Turkey, just stop.

OR

You can get the blasted patches and work on the physical habit first... patches or gum or pills, what ever works for you. That is the way I did it. It took 5 weeks to do that, plus a LOT of prayer.

I quit the first way for 9 months, but went back to smoking and smoked far more than I did before I quit. After 5 weeks the second way, I haven't touched a cigarette or even wanted a cigarette since July 2001.

So, I know it is an addiction, but the HABIT is stronger than the addiction.

You had to learn to smoke. You can learn to not smoke.

I'll be praying for you. "I can do all things through Christ Who strengthens me." It is true!

6:42 PM  
Blogger Refreshment in Refuge said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

6:42 PM  
Blogger EXSENO said...

Gina,
Oh this is so much harder then I thought it would be.

7:26 PM  
Blogger Sister Copinherhair said...

Addiction. I've heard the hypnosis works. I hope you can do it. It will be better in the long run. Good luck, Exseno.

8:09 PM  
Blogger EXSENO said...

Damsel Underdressed,
I have a friend that says it worked for him. He went to a group
hypnosis seminar.

2:55 AM  
Blogger EXSENO said...

Becky,
I'm going to try to brain wash myself and keep saying, 'It will be worth it.'

3:09 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I really hate to say this now but you are an addict. I am so sorry. :-(

But, just think of the negative repercussions of smoking - maybe you can put those scary pictures on your fridge to remind you. You could also consider, getting all those patches and stuff.

I am so glad I never picked up smoking...

3:55 AM  
Blogger EXSENO said...

pamelastitch,
I'm glad for you too.

4:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think smoking starts as a habit and becomes an addiction.

I grew up with a dad who smoked. I hated it. I now know that the reason that I was such a sickly child was because I was allergic to the cigarette smoke.

One day Dad kicked the habit cold turkey. For him, that was the best way to do it.

You, too, can be smoke-free. I know that you can persevere. Good luck!

By the way, thanks for stopping by my site. :-)

5:48 AM  
Blogger EXSENO said...

Hi Naomi,
How are you doing?
Now that you have told me about your allergy, I'm beginning to wonder, my grandson lives with me but he's sick alot. Allergys.

6:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

EXSENO, the allergy thing is something to consider. Only you and your grandson's doctor will know for sure.

I had "bad allergies" and inflamed tonsils all year long. I'm sure it never occurred to my dad that his smoking was making me sick.

6:20 AM  
Blogger EXSENO said...

Naomi,
I'm almost sure that you are right. We have had a terrible time with him. Most doctors in the past have just been treating him for infection not even really realizing what he has.
He stays sick and congested. We finally found a doctor that said he had terrible allergys.

8:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the addiction IS the habit. you are addicted to the habit of smoking, and not the smokes themselves. anyway, glad you liked the dancer girl. heh.

8:36 AM  
Blogger EXSENO said...

Abbas,
I don't know any more what it is, but I do know that I have smoked so much in the past,I think I am embalmed in nicotine.

9:52 AM  
Blogger Shaykhspeara Sha'ira said...

Hey there! :) I am back to blogging. Just wanted to say hi.

I don't know much about smoking but it seems it is a bit of both...

10:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker