Friday, January 25, 2008

HOW'S YOUR WEATHER ? MINE SUCKS !

It's only twenty-seven degrees here and I'm cold. What about you?
It seldom snows in the southern part of the state in which I live. It's usually reserved for the northern part. The few times that it has snowed it's been more like a fun thing because it's so rare. Run out play in it for a few minutes and it soon melts.

I suppose I shouldn't complain, we've been blessed for the last few years with some extra mild winters.
Snow is not so bad, but we've been having tiny beads of sleet coming down all day. There's nothing worse then an ice storm. The stairs outside are already covered in ice and there are no railings on the sides of my stairs to hang onto. Big mistake on my part.
The last bad ice storm we had was several years ago and it was treacherous.
It devastated not only our town, it engulfed a huge area.
It was right at Christmas and it brought everything to a stop. I've never seen anything like it in my life, except maybe on the news or in a movie.
That ice storm caused havoc everywhere it went. Some people had no electricity because the ice was so heavy lines were just snapping.

My children couldn't make it for Christmas that year, all of the roads were to dangerous for travel. My son lives next door to me, but at that time he was staying with a girlfriend. Knowing my son like I do I was so afraid he would try to drive back home because he thinks he has to take care of his Mom. Who do children think took care of us before they were born?
He called to ask how bad it was where we lived and asked me to stay at his place because he knew I was having trouble with my heater. I promised that I would, if he would promise to stay where he was.
It was no easy task making my way from my place to his. It's really only a matter of a few feet. A few feet of solid ice that is. And how do I get down the stairs. You know, those stairs with no railings. Well this is how I did it -- very carefully.

You know how some Mothers get all disappointed and upset when their children can't make it home especially if it's a holiday, well I didn't. They were safe and happy and that's what makes me happy. So I just curled up with a good book, that is after slithering back and forth several times to get some of that good holiday food transferred from my place to his before I settled in.

I have to say that even though the storm was very bad it was the most beautiful thing I have ever seen. Everything was encased with a thick layer of crystal clear shimmery shinning ice. Every branch of every tree glowed with beauty.

It's strange the way I felt that week at my sons home. Alone, but not lonely, all toasty and warm, staring through his big glass doors at the beauty of nature.
I found myself staring out there a lot.I somehow fund it soothing. I felt so totally at peace, that kind of inner peace that we all long for. I felt embraced by that home, like there was a loving presence there with me that I can not explain.
Maybe it was the aura of my son in that house or maybe it was God. I don't know,
I only know that I never felt that way before, nor have I ever felt that way since.

21 Comments:

Blogger Jinta said...

it was God

i always enjoy the beauty that comes with cold weather too; fresh snowfall, glistering ice, dark grey skies, everything bare and seemingly still even as there's motion, i think it brings us closer to God

6:37 PM  
Blogger EXSENO said...

Jinta,
I agree, with all of your comment.
I couldn't have said it better.

5:22 AM  
Blogger Shannon said...

Ice storms are so beautiful. Snowstorms have their charm, too. Unless you have had several feet of it, as we have this year (since Thanksgiving). I like the seasons that New Enlgand has to offer. I just wish this one was a little bit shorter :)

8:17 AM  
Blogger EXSENO said...

Shannon,
I know what you mean. I don't know why sometimes the cold doesn't bother me, but this year I don't seem to be able to handle the cold. I can't wait for spring.

8:36 AM  
Blogger Sam!! said...

Well i guess every season/weather have its own charm... its just our inner feelings that creates the difference...

God bless you dear!

11:50 AM  
Blogger Afrobabe said...

For some reason I find the peace of contentment in your post..A happy person that is at the place they should be...It lifts your faith in life.

10:57 AM  
Blogger EXSENO said...

Afrobabe,
Thank you so much for your visit. I enjoyed your comment very much.

12:24 PM  
Blogger Id it is said...

A snowfall arouses some mixed emotions, doesn't it... a sense of isolation, of being trapped, and yet the sheer beauty of those snowflakes gliding and the shimmer of those snow capped trees when the sun breaks through, is indeed, breathtaking. It soothes you while making you aware of how lonesome it really is.
Exseno, you are fortunate as you appear to always see the brighter side to things; that's a great disposition to have. You must make a good friend and an even better mom! It is your love and your winsome personality that pervades any environment that you find yourself in.
Weather around you will always be fine!

3:06 PM  
Blogger Sister Copinherhair said...

Our weather was in the single digits last week but today it climbed to almost forty! Perfect for building a snowman...which we did!

3:18 PM  
Blogger EXSENO said...

Id it is,
Thank you for you kind words.




Damsel Underdressed,
Wonderful, and soon it will be spring.

4:44 PM  
Blogger Nabeel said...

27 degrees is good Exseno .. 27F is a blessing. Over here, it was -27F last week .. yes the wind chill was -27F. Over here, even though the roads are clean, it is still dangerous to travel .. or actually just to go out. And in our case, it is not the heater that people worry about, it is the water lines freezing and bursting.

8:02 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

that is so great being engulfed in your son's love.

2:40 AM  
Blogger EXSENO said...

Nabeel,
We don't usually have to worry about the pipes until it reach a little below 20degrees.

2:20 PM  
Blogger EXSENO said...

pamelastitch,
Well I don't know if that's what it was but it certainly gave me a wonderful peaceful feeling.

2:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who do children think took care of us before they were born?

I read that with a smirk first.

And then it got into my head so much so that i called up my mom and asked her how bad is old age.

she told me my question was wrong.

I just sat back and wondered how some questions can set you on a sail of thoughts...

4:21 AM  
Blogger EXSENO said...

Lash,
That's a terrific comment. I had to laugh. So did you ask your mom what she meant by that?

5:01 AM  
Blogger The T-Dude said...

The snow is falling, the temps are in the teens and my world looks like a Christmas postcard. Just like my kids...I'm hoping for a snow day so that we can go sledding.

6:45 PM  
Blogger Becky said...

We just got iced last night. Ice covering everything, I'd rather it have been snow! And I'm not to fond of snow either. Why can't the sun just shine?!

8:33 AM  
Blogger SOLOMONSYDELLE said...

I don't particularly care for winter, but I do relish the first day of snow and snowstorms. Snow brings such tranquility and a reminder of nature's strength despite technology and man's attempts to conquer it.

Oh well, nice post.

7:22 AM  
Blogger EXSENO said...

The T-Dude,
Yes, snow makes for a fun day especially if you have kids.


Becky,
It's so hard to try to walk on ice.




SOLOMONSYDELLE,
The strength of nature. I have to agree with that, it's certainly one of those things that we have no control over.
Well I'm

8:06 AM  
Blogger John said...

canada goose jackets
ugg outlet
lebron 12
toms shoes
hollister uk
coach outlet online
tods outlet
ugg boots outlet
polo ralph lauren
cheap oakley sunglasses
fake oakleys
christian louboutin outlet
ugg outlet store
mulberry handbags
coach outlet store online
louis vuitton handbags
nike air huarache
michaek kors outlet
michael kors outlet
michael kors outlet
louis vuitton handbags
uggs clearance
ugg boots on sale
coach factory outlet
louis vuitton bags
20151224yuanyuan

11:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker