Sunday, March 09, 2008

SURPRISE WEEKEND

Last Thursday my son stopped by and found me fighting with a tape measure trying to figure out how to make a level line on my wall so that I could try to put up this big decorative shelf that I had just bought.
He asked what I was doing and I told him, all he said was, "Oh", then he told me that it was suppose to snow tomorrow and he turned around and left.

Well, I didn't believe that it was going to snow because we have had a pretty mild winter. The last time it snowed here was about nine years ago. But I did think that my son could have offered to help me with the shelf.
On the other hand I wasn't surprised either when he came right back with all of the proper tools to make the job easy and hung the shelf for me. It would have taken me forever to try to hang that big heavy thing, but he had it leveled and hung in about five minutes and I am not exaggerating. Then he looked at me and said, "That's just something for people to hit their heads on". My reply was "Maybe you, but I'll never hit my head on it" He laughed. You see I'm barely five feet tall and he is six-two, but I make up for it in strength.

I think what really worried him was when he saw the chair with a stack of books on it that I had been standing on to make me tall enough to make the marks on my wall, can't have Mom falling and breaking something, he'd lose his cleaning lady.

While I enjoyed how nice my shelf looked I noticed it was getting colder and colder, but I still had no thoughts of snow.

Fridays' sun came up and it was bitter cold and on my way to taking my grandson to school I made some silly joke that it was certainly cold enough to snow.
I dropped my grandson off, got settled in back home and in a couple of hours I hear on the TV that all of the schools were closing. Low and behold snow was falling. They announced all of the schools that were closing, but ours wasn't mentioned. So I called the school and asked if they were going to close as well and they said yes, but they hadn't decided when. So I asked if I could pick my child up now since I have only one way in and out of my road and it's over a steal bridge and it's very slippery.
Not to mention I wanted to beat the rush, because the people around here drive like crazy maniacs.

Getting to the school wasn't a problem the snow wasn't coming down very fast but the minute we got back home and parked the snow started coming down in sheets, I couldn't believe how thick it was. The ground was covered like a blanket in minutes.

My grandson went outside and disappeared for a long time. When he came back his face was bright red and frozen, but he could care less he had a ball. He explored every aspect of the two acres behind my home and the patch of woods to the left side of my yard.

We settled in for the evening. The snow never eased up, but since it was the weekend we just enjoyed the beauty of it.
The dark grey sky. The blanket of thick white snow on the ground and the beautiful contrast of the glistening covered tree branches against the dark brown tree bark was a sight to behold.
It all seemed to take on a glow as the sun started to go down.
So Serene, so calm, so quiet.

Nature is a strange phenomena, ever changing. We can try to predict it, but we can't control it, we can only accept what ever it brings.

There is nothing more dangerous and yet at times nothing more beautiful, then what nature decides to allow us to view.

20 Comments:

Blogger Jinta said...

beauty

4:20 PM  
Blogger Shannon said...

What a nice son.
Enjoy the snow!
Our precipitation has finally shifted to mostly rain so we might see the ground within a week or two. It has been under many 'blankets' since before Thanksgiving.

6:10 AM  
Blogger anonymous gal(retired blogger) said...

lucky u u hv a nice son wh is tall enuf to fix ur shelf.

8:25 AM  
Blogger EXSENO said...

Jinta,
Yes, I thought it was, but then I didn't have to get out and go to work in it.





Shannon,
Yes, you had to endure a lot more snow then we did. We only had it for the week-end. Today is Monday and it's not even that cold.





Anonymous gal,
Yes I am very lucky.

8:56 AM  
Blogger Is it sync'd yet? said...

What is interesting is that living in Florida we see snow maybe once every 15 years or so. So as a child my only exposer to snow was when I went to Ill. to visit my grand parents. I have many many found memories of flapping about in the snow like a flounder out of water.

As a side note, next time you know your son will be over you need to have have more than one thing ready for him to do. That is what my parents do to my brother and I. So far we have build sheds, build shelving, laid grass, etc..etc..etc..

Gnat.
.

10:34 AM  
Blogger EXSENO said...

Gnat of Glass,
Yes, That's the way we are, because we don't get it very often here either. So it's a fun day. I just came from your blog I didn't know you were having a contest. So I entered my guess.

11:04 AM  
Blogger Id it is said...

Mother nature does flex her muscle every now and then to let us know who's in charge!
We haven't had much of snow in the NE ; the weather has been pretty mild for the most part.

2:48 PM  
Blogger AVIANA said...

"There is nothing more dangerous and yet at times nothing more beautiful, then what nature decides to allow us to view."

Love this line... :)

3:10 PM  
Blogger How do we know said...

:-)

6:18 AM  
Blogger EXSENO said...

Id it is,
It's fun having it when you don't have to live with it all winter long. It's not something that I would want to have to drive to work in every day.

10:02 AM  
Blogger EXSENO said...

AVIANA,
It's true isn't it. Nature is totally in control.

10:03 AM  
Blogger EXSENO said...

How do we know,
Nicest comment of the day.

10:04 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Mother Nature is an unpredictable employer, so just enjoy the employment....

LOL!! Ignore me, I am feeling woozy today.

12:24 PM  
Blogger Sister Copinherhair said...

Maybe I could borrow your son to come help with a couple of projects that need attention around my house too.

4:09 AM  
Blogger EXSENO said...

Pamela,
I did enjoy it. Thanks.





Damsel Underdressed,
I'm sure if you lived closer, he'd be glad to help you

12:19 PM  
Blogger AVIANA said...

hey how are you?

4:38 AM  
Blogger EXSENO said...

Hi AVIANA,
I'm fine just been really busy, but I'll be back in a couple more days.
Thanks for asking. I miss everybody.

7:50 AM  
Blogger Becky said...

There may be nothing better than watching the snow fall, from inside under a blanket. Where I grew up in South Carolina we barely ever had snow and it was never enough to stick for more than a few hours, but up in Northern Virginia it happens all the time. I didn't even know to put salt on the driveway or anything like that, but I married a yankee and he showed me the ropes.

It's spring time now though!! 8-)

6:41 AM  
Blogger AVIANA said...

wow..you've been gone for a long time now...

:)

3:50 PM  
Blogger EXSENO said...

AVIANA,
It has been a long time, but I'll be back this week.

6:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker