Monday, February 02, 2009

FRIENDS FOREVER

I would never trade my amazing friends, my wonderful life, my loving family for less gray hair or a flatter belly. As I've aged, I've become kinder to myself, and less critical of myself. I've become my own friend.
I don't chide myself for eating that extra cookie, or for not making my bed, or for buying that silly cement gecko that I didn't need, but looks so avante garde on my patio. I am entitled to a treat, to be messy,to be extravagant.

I have seen too many dear friends leave this world too soon; before they understood the great freedom that comes with aging.

Whose business is it if I choose to read or play on the computer until 4
AM and sleep until noon? I will dance with myself to those wonderful tunes
of the 60 &70's, and if I, at the same time, wish to weep over a lost love, I will.

I will walk the beach in a swim suit that is stretched over a bulging
body, and will dive into the waves with abandon if I choose to, despite the pitying glances from the jet set.

They, too, will get old.
I know I am sometimes forgetful.
But there again, some of life is just as well forgotten. And I eventually remember the important things.

Sure, over the years my heart has been broken. How can your heart not break when you lose a loved one, or when a child suffers,or even when somebody's beloved pet gets hit by a car? But broken hearts are what give us strength and understanding and compassion. A heart never broken is pristine and sterile and will never know the joy of being imperfect.

I am so blessed to have lived long enough to have my hair turning gray, and to have my youthful laughs be forever etched into deep grooves on my face.
So many have never laughed, and so many have died before their hair could turn silver.

As you get older, it is easier to be positive. You care less about what other people think. I don't question myself anymore. I've even earned the right to be wrong.

I like being old. It has set me free.
I like the person I have become. I am not going to live forever,but while I am still here, I will not waste time lamenting what could have been, or worrying about what will be. And I shall eat dessert every single day(if I feel like it).

MAY OUR FRIENDSHIP NEVER COME APART ESPECIALLY WHEN IT'S STRAIGHT FROM THE HEART!


MAY YOU ALWAYS HAVE A RAINBOW OF SMILES ON YOUR FACE AND IN YOUR HEART
FOREVER AND EVER! FRIENDS FOREVER!


Received this in an e-mail from a very dear friend.
I'm passing it on to you, all of my Blogger friends, that I hold so near and dear to my heart. You have all become my friends and I hold your friendship in the highest regard.
Thank You, for bringing such joy into my life.

19 Comments:

Blogger Anisa said...

What a great post. Thanks for sharing!

9:39 AM  
Blogger Id it is said...

That is such a reassuring read! Living in a youth oriented society, aging is a dreaded phenomenon, and people go to any lengths to evade/obliterate/cover it; unfortunately it is here to stay and there is no pushing it away and definitely no wishing it away. Aging gracefully is all one can hope and wish for! I'm glad and honored to be your friend!

12:50 PM  
Blogger EXSENO said...

Anisa,
Thank you for taking the time to stop by. I know you don't really feel like it right now. grieving is a very draining process, I'm praying for you.

8:26 PM  
Blogger EXSENO said...

Id it is,
Thank you, I feel the same about you.
You know I thought I would dread becoming older but instead I find it very liberating.
If I forget something I can blame it on my age but the truth is I have always been forgetful.
I will be sixty five this summer and I'm proud to say that I don't have the bulges or gray hair yet.
There is only one thing that I dread and it is a head full of gray hair, it won't suit my skin tone.
I have found one or two here and there, but I think when the time comes I have the solution to that problem, it comes in a little box and in all colors. lol

9:00 PM  
Blogger Becky said...

LOVE YOU EXSENO!! My wise blog friend!

10:15 AM  
Blogger EXSENO said...

Becky,
Love you too, a bunch !!!!

5:24 AM  
Blogger Jinta said...

this is so inspired, the freedom you express.

lol. but please, dont eat dessert every day even if you feel like it

11:49 AM  
Blogger EXSENO said...

Jinta,
Hi, thank you for the visit.
OK I promise I won't have dessert every day.
How about every other day. lol

1:46 PM  
Blogger Medio Pomelo said...

Well, you are much much younger than my gran but there is something I'd like to tell you about her: the older she gets the more honest and straight to the point she is. And it is one of the privileges of her age: everyone thinks her wise enough to speak her mind plus she really can't be bothered tiptoeing around hyper sensitive people's feelings. She is not rude, ever, but she feels no need any more to sugar-coat what she wants to say. How i envy that! :)
Great post Exseno!

7:24 AM  
Blogger EXSENO said...

Medio Pomelo,
I think that's a good trait to have at any age. I agree with your gran.
I also agree that a person can and should be open and honest without being rude.
With a little tact a person can get away with saying just about anything they want to.

8:52 PM  
Blogger Shannon said...

What a sweet and thoughtful post! I agree that I am less hard on myself (and others) as I get older. That is definitely a good thing ;)

1:40 PM  
Blogger EXSENO said...

Shannon,
Yes there are some benefits to it, as long as I don't look in the mirror, I'm fine. lol

3:31 PM  
Blogger The T-Dude said...

Very nice...thanks.

9:37 AM  
Blogger EXSENO said...

The T-Dude,
Thank you too, for being a blogger friend.

5:14 AM  
Blogger Mampi said...

THanks for sharing.
Yes, it is so easy to be positive as we grow older. But I know some of my very close people who are growing more and more negative. Hope they also see more meaning in being positive. There is such less time to live.

2:15 AM  
Blogger EXSENO said...

Mampi,
True much less time, or is there? That prediction is not in within their control.

5:07 AM  
Blogger Deb Sistrunk Nelson said...

This is, indeed, a beautiful post.

11:39 AM  
Blogger EXSENO said...

Deb S.,
Thanks, but I can't take credit for it. It was sent to me in a letter by a friend.

5:29 AM  
Blogger AMIT said...

Great written.

Invitation letter

12:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker